• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LS-120 drives as floppy replacements

I have been using an LS240 successfully for the past two years or so as a replacement on my main WS. Unfortunately, w/ my new MB (Asus Quad Core) it won't work as boot device. However, the SW did run fine on WinXP 32 and did allow formatting, reading, and writing of 1.44MB disks as 32MB disks. I may just pop in a regular floppy drive and move the LS240 to one of my legacy system. I would love to get my hands on a 2.88MB drive just to "have one" in the collection. Any recommendations on a make/model? As I understand it many of the PS2 IBM drives were IBM specific or 1/4 height (slim) drives.

You might want to see if you can find a Teac FD235J. Good drives--but where will you get DSED media?

There is always EBAY. It is amazing but if you wait long enough everything is available on ebay! In the meant time I can keep an eye out for the HW.

There is always EBAY. It is amazing but if you wait long enough everything is available on ebay! In the meant time I can keep an eye out for the HW.

When you see a 2.88 drive for sale, make sure it's the PC version and not the IBM one or it won't work. The IBM ones don't have a separate power connector so watch out if anything in sales description points towards this.
As for the 2.88 media, a couple months ago I won an auction for 10 brand new 2.88 disks for just €6,50 excluding shipping (total was slightly over €10 shipped iirc) so it is possible.

You can rewire an IBM floppy drive to standard floppy/power headers, btw. So if that's all that turns up and it's not too expensive, it is an option. The bad part about them imho is that they don't have a proper bezel since they're designed for special IBM cases.

I just bought a box of 10 new ED disks a month or so ago... I know I posted about it on here in one thread or another where I got them from. Pretty cheap, too.

Suppose I wanted to do the same thing I did for other media (e.g. 5.25" DD HD; 3.5" 2D HD); i.e. I bought a bulk (duplicator-grade) lot of 1000, so I wouldn't have to worry about media again. Where would I find 1000 DSED floppies? 10 is nothing--I can exhaust those in a couple of months.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're actually using the floppies to store data on.

Athana at least used to have them. They still list ED 3.5s on their front page, but their diskettes page doesn't list them anymore.
Could try calling I guess... They do still list 8" disks of various formats.

__
Trevor

Suppose I wanted to do the same thing I did for other media (e.g. 5.25" DD HD; 3.5" 2D HD); i.e. I bought a bulk (duplicator-grade) lot of 1000, so I wouldn't have to worry about media again. Where would I find 1000 DSED floppies? 10 is nothing--I can exhaust those in a couple of months.

I'm assuming, of course, that you're actually using the floppies to store data on.

I plan to use them for transporting data to and from my pre-usb era machines so I won't be needing as many :)

Edit: Woops, forgot to include the quote

Back