• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Best way to list a vintage IC?

glitch

Veteran Member
I recently discovered that I have a NS8200D with a datestamp of 31st week of 1968 in my logic ICs organizer. It's a 4-bit magnitude comparator...not sure of its construction (DTL, TTL, RTL, et c.). It's early enough manufacture that the pins are rolled sheet metal rather than just stamped. The body is ceramic, and of course everything is plated in gold. It's got top and bottom solder-sealed plates. I was able to find a datasheet on it, and breadboarded a test circuit -- it does actually work!

While I could probably find a use for a 4-bit comparator somewhere, I'm sure someone else out there would appreciate having it a lot more than me. How does one go about listing something like this though? On eBay, for example, there are thousands of listings for "vintage" and "rare" ICs, when many of them are just CERDIP packaged 74 series logic. As I don't collect ICs, I don't really know how to make it stand out from the crowd.

It's a TTL device--National DM8000 series. I don't know how rare this is, as I suspect it was used extensively in DEC equipment of the time.

When it comes to ICs, I think the hot items are the early microprocessors, but I could be wrong.

It's a TTL device--National DM8000 series. I don't know how rare this is, as I suspect it was used extensively in DEC equipment of the time.

When it comes to ICs, I think the hot items are the early microprocessors, but I could be wrong.

You're right, the device itself isn't rare, there's several listings for later production units on eBay at the moment, at fairly reasonable prices if you only needed one or two. In the past, I've seen common ICs sell for insane prices based on their packaging though -- early examples like rolled pins or the gray ceramic where the pins show through the top seem to go for moderately high prices.

Back