• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Amd am9512

NeXT

Veteran Member
No idea how uncommon these are but apparently my Lisa has room for one as a math co-processor.
Might someone have one handy?

Nobody really bothered buying the co-processor so the use of different is not documented. I honestly don't know other than this th e9512 is the chip that Apple at least offered.

the Am9512 came in both 2MHz & 3MHz.. do you know which it took or both?

EDIT >> seemly the Lisa possibly took a Am9512 or a WD2001 (Western Digital made i presume) but it doesn't seem to have been supported
It looks like the Am9511 maybe a better initial alternative (cheaper & more available) and was used in other Apple systems.

Last edited:
It's possible.
The only place I can see it actually being used in the spreadsheet application. Who knows how Apple programmed all seven of the programs actually made for the Lisa to use it but it does carry bragging rights.

You can scrub the WD2001.. my friend just checked his data books.. its a data encryption engine :neutral:

the basic differences between the 9511 & 9512 as listed on CPU-World
AMD 9511 (AM9511) is a Floating Point Unit designed for usage with different types of microprocessors, usually as a peripheral device. The 9511 performed arithmetic and trigonometric operations with 16-bit and 32-bit fixed point numbers, and with 32-bit floating point numbers. It could also convert fixed-point number to floating point numbers and vice versa. To transfer commands and data to/from the FPU, the main processor could use either I/O or direct memory access.
Enhanced version of the FPU, AMD 9512, was released shortly after 9511. Now fully compatible with IEEE format, the AMD 9512 supported both single and double precision floating point numbers.

Sun Remarketing is who purchased much of the old Apple Lisa systems. They made many upgrade guides etc
Look here: http://www.1000bit.it/support/manuali/apple/lisa/lisaSUNREPAIR.pdf

Page 3 and page 12 both say AMD 9512
2010-09-23_2142.png

I have an AMD 9512 - not sure the condition - it is always on the black static foam
maybe I s hould put up on ebay and see who is interest in buying this chip?

Depending on markings I could be interested.
Can you post a pic?
or email one to me?
john[AT]cpushack[DOT]com

Back