• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for book on development of the IBM PC

1980s_john

Experienced Member
Hi,

As per title, what books have been written please on the development by IBM of the PC. I haven't found the one I've read about in the past using Google, hopefully fellow collectors can recommend a suitable title.

Regards,
John

John,

Plenty out there !

If you do a Google search, it is a fascinating era - usual corp stuff to "prevent future" as Alan Kay said, along with his quote to "invent future."

The guy [forgot his name - can look it up - but this is just a quick reply] who does it under very difficult circumstances, then gets in essence fired - actually stashed away at a non-descript job for the rest of his life.

Very pivotal decisions made at that time in many ways - we can discuss it later.

However, the decline of IBM may have been just inevitable - read some the main books on it - now they are out of it and mostly trying to still do mainframe work I believe.

Hey, inform me an the rest of us with what you have - put stuff on the "wiki & blog" sites on this web site for us all to enjoy.

Why are you interested ? Will help many of us responding.

This is all part of my pre and post "1980 Kaypro Era Computer" books. Check my website [WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG, the STS = science, technology and society - my decades of research - site soon to be updated, upgraded, improved, etc. now that we finally have faster internet cable in our so rural area of PA in USA] for a free download of a draft of my book under the folder "special" - also a Kaypro 2008 Calendar there with many pictures of Kaypros if you do not know what they look like.

Many of these older books are out of print, but check www.paperbackswap.com, i think they are international - the deal is - you post and ship books others are interested in at your expense - in USA media mail is only around $3 a book - and others ship their books to you that you are interested in for free - you get credits in essence for those you ship out - so you can get yours for free actually.

Helps my research since so many books are out of print, my research funds are only my own and of course the books are recycled. Now their other related organizations also do CD's and DVD's.

All the best !

Please let us know how you make out in this project – write your own book ???

Frank

You might want to try Fire in the Valley. It doesn't cover the IBM PC specifically, but it covers Microsoft in that era, and the story of the PC's rise pretty much is the story of Microsoft. A made-for-TV movie titled "Pirates of Silicon Valley" was based on it.

The guy [forgot his name - can look it up - but this is just a quick reply] who does it under very difficult circumstances, then gets in essence fired - actually stashed away at a non-descript job for the rest of his life.

Hey, inform me an the rest of us with what you have

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your reply. Here are some computer history books I have read and would recommend, I think I should have saved the reference sections from these for future reading!

The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder - the author spent time inside Data General development labs whilst a new 32 bit minicomputer is developed in the mid 1970s. A classic piece of writing, reads more like a novel than a history book.

Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet by Katie Hafner - how the internet was developed from the 1960s to 1980s.

Electronic Brains: Stories from the Dawn of the Computer Age by Mike Hally - each chapter focuses on a different machine from various parts of the world. (I had the pleasure of meeting Mike at the 2010 GB VCF.)

Digital Retro: The Evolution and Design of the Personal Computer by Gordon Laing - a visual treat, with around 50 machines featured. (I lent the author one of the machines - please buy this book!)

The Computer: A History by Mark Frauenfelder - lives up its title, fascinating insight into one of man's most significant inventions.

The Cogwheel Brain by Doron Swade - the story of Charles Babbage, the Victorian father of computing.

Show-Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft by G.Pascal Zachary - a similar read to Soul of a New Machine, shows what an inspiration Dave Cutler was to his team.

Straying slightly from computer history here are some computer related books I would recommend:

Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software by Scott Rosenberg - real life story of software development.

The Mythical Man Month and Other Essays on Software Engineering by Frederick P. Brooks Jr. - has some history relating to the IBM/360.

Here are some related videos:

Pirates of Silicon Valley - basically Bill Gates v. Steve Jobs (in his suit wearing days).

Triumph of the Nerds / Nerds 2.0.1 - entertaining history documentaries by Robert X. Cringley, available on Google video.

Why are you interested ? Will help many of us responding.

I enjoy reading tech history.

This is all part of my pre and post "1980 Kaypro Era Computer" books. Check my website [WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG, the STS = science, technology and society - my decades of research - site soon to be updated, upgraded, improved, etc. now that we finally have faster internet cable in our so rural area of PA in USA] for a free download of a draft of my book under the folder "special" - also a Kaypro 2008 Calendar there with many pictures of Kaypros if you do not know what they look like.

<cut>

Please let us know how you make out in this project – write your own book ???

I had a look at your website, very eclectic. Under your book list I found the classic 'Lake Wobegon Days', but not a list of books on computer history - sorry. Good luck with the site update!

Sorry I'm not writing any books, I just enjoy finding out more of the history - I have been to a very few computer history museums (mainly Bletchley Park and the London Science Museum in the UK).

I've read a bit about how the IBM PC was a skunk works development down in Florida, I'm fairly sure there was a book about this project and the people involved, hopefully one that is in my local library!

Regards,
John

I don't think I've seen this book mentioned here: "Blue Magic" by James Chposky and Ted Leonsis. The subtitle is "The People, Power and Politics Behind the IBM Personal Computer".

I don't think I've seen this book mentioned here: "Blue Magic" by James Chposky and Ted Leonsis. The subtitle is "The People, Power and Politics Behind the IBM Personal Computer".

Thanks, I'll search this one out,

Regards,
John

In the early '90s there were two unauthorized biographies of Bill Gates written. One was Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry--and Made Himself the Richest Man in America by Stephen Manes and Paul Andrews, and the other was Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire by James Wallace and Jim Erickson. Of course the focus was on Gates and Microsoft, but the IBM PC was pivotal in that, and both books talked about the IBM PC and its development from Microsoft's perspective.

I read both books, many years ago, and I recall one or both of them giving the distinct impression that if Microsoft had gotten its way, the IBM PC would have been 68000-based and run Xenix. But one can imagine what that would have cost. Then again, imagine the alternative history possibilities!

At least the way these books told it, IBM was very interested in what Microsoft thought about the microcomputer market, and they solicited a lot of advice from Microsoft, though they didn't always follow it. No 32-bit CPU, no Xenix for starters, but Microsoft really didn't want a cassette interface in the IBM PC either. Apparently one of IBM's customers did, and they said, look, we're putting 50 cents worth of hardware in here to support this, so you put in 50 cents worth of software.

So I would suggest adding those two books to your list.

John,

Thanks for the reply.

This is just a quick reply by me -

Wow - you are in UK and Bletchley Park, etc. - impressive the opportunities they provide on all this !

Yes, I have compiled a list of computer books to be put on my web site when it is updated - will include your recommendations and the others mentioned.

As you can see from all the responses to your post, there is a lot of info on this site and a lot of interest in this topic.

My STS research tries to show some of the "patterns" involved so that we can better understand and manage STS issues in the future that are so dramatically affecting our global society in so many critical ways today.

All these books, references, etc. help to illustrate a lot of this for many diverse audiences to understand and make use of.

All the best in all you continue to do and please keep us all informed of your progress so we can all benefit !

Frank

P.S.

Just started with some of the Xerox books also on early computing – check them out – many of the “ same patterns “ as IBM and other past computer companies at that time – looks like “mindsets,” “tunnel vision,” etc. – these are good people, highly educated & experienced, etc. – “why” did they act that way and in essence “throw away a lot of potential money, business opportunities, etc ???” – the society aspects of STS – how can this be corrected today, when the stakes are a lot higher ?

When such mistakes are made, a lot of even innocent people suffer a great deal [e.g., employees, consumers, investors, etc.].

So much to continually learn in just one lifetime !

Note – for some reason all these responses did not show up on “What is New” heading on this site ! So we just have search back for any responses the old ways.

"More details that may help with your IBM PC info inquiry."

John and others interested in this topic,

I just had some time to get back to this since some projects I was doing finished early – it happens, but rarely !

I may have not been clear enough previously – my Kaypro book on my website stresses “ website references “ and not books.

Also, many lists of many books on many topics, including computing, will be added to my website when it is eventually updated.

I used websites and not books since older books are difficult to get – e.g. by swap sites, local libraries, friends, etc.

Newer books are different, but many do not even cover the vintage computer era and many important points of that period.

In addition, many of the authors of books may be compromised for various reasons to present only the most favorable or unfavorable aspects of a topic – e.g. Carly Fiorina formerly of HP and now running for office in California – good news – she says she has beaten breast cancer !!!

I am now reading her book on “ her version “ of what happened – fascinating – who is right or are all of them from their personal perspectives ?

============================================================

I explore briefly this “quest for truth of the matter” in my Kaypro book – the murder mystery – who did it ? – so many witnesses saw it very differently – why did Osborne & Kaypro, along with IBM, “ fail “ so dramatically and Compaq “ succeed “ so dramatically in PC’s!

Excel spreadsheets and graphs / charts illustrate these “dramatics” so well in this Kaypro book – “ case closed “ – Compaq won hands down – the others never had a chance – their only real choice - drop out and pursue other interests – they clearly saw the hand writing on the wall, as painful as it was - and they did !

==============================================================

Also, as many know, some organizations will go to great lengths to protect their “perceived” reputation.

In addition, website references may be more recent and by multiple authors, besides alerting you to many other references, including books, particularly newer references.

Books become so outdated so fast and they are “cast in stone / print.” Web material can be updated at will, so can be very current.

================================================================

Unfortunately, a lot of vintage computing info is scattered about in many books, web sites, etc.

We need some people to bring it together in a logical and chronological order.

But many just concentrate on a specific topic and explore that.

I am trying, but it takes a long time – there is an awful lot out there.

A lot of the “mindsets, tunnel vision, corp policies / tradition – it worked in the past so it will work now and in the future, etc.” preordained how some big companies, computer companies included, would respond to new challenges.

This just set them up for failure.

But could anyone really know what to do in such a rapidly and dramatically changing environment like the early computers of the 1980’s ?

That is what I explore in my Kaypro book with Osborne, Kaypro, IBM and Compaq.

More books before and after are in the works, but it takes a lot of time, especially since “tidbits” of info is scattered all over the place. Challenge is not only to find it, but to put it together in some coherent and readily understandable fashion that can be used to better understand the evolution of computing and STS in general.

==================================================================

But specifically, a few books that may give you and others interested some insight into
“ early / old ” IBM, along with details of how the IBM PC really developed, I have found so far are –

“The Computer Establishment” by Katharine Davis Fishman 1981

“The Coming Computer Industry Shakeout” by Stephen McClellan 1984

Even the two [2] Xerox books I am now reading show some of IBM –

Xerox was into copiers – IBM needed to be too
IBM was into computers – Xerox needed to be too

Both used technologies to make copies – one with a copier and one with a computer – obvious competition – who would win or both fail – some favor the latter ??? So they had to compete to continue to exist and grow. Fascinating story both ways.

“Fumbling the Future” by Douglas Smith and Robert Alexander 1999

“Dealers of Lightning” by Michael Hiltzik 1999

Xerox was not stupid – they missed computing, but for many complex reasons, even though they had great advantages – IBM also !

======================================================================================
Very simply - but much more complex -

IBM's decision to use " off the shelf parts " set the tone for ultimate failure !

They usually used their own proprietary parts - took longer but locked in the market, or so they thought.

They wanted to get to the market fast and they did with "off the shelf."

But that opened up "clones" and Compaq took advantage of that.

They found a way to do the IBM BIOS legally and then they were off !!!

==============================================================

Goggle searches identify so many areas to explore. No one can do it all. We need many doing it also because they bring their own “take” on the issues.

Also, just a quick check on Amazon and WWW.PAPERBACKSWAP.COM indicated many books on IBM from many perspectives.

One I found particularly helpful when I read it was –

“Big Blues – The Unmaking of IBM” by Paul Carroll

A real surprise from this search was –

“IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance between Nazi Germany and America’s Most Powerful Corporation” by Edwin Black

But not surprising from a corporation perspective – many corporations were involved with such alliances in those years – a search will provide some contacts.

For a rather “irreverent” look at computing, including IBM [he has a real case against them apparently] –

“Accidental Empires…….. by Robert X. Cringely

And on and on – depends a great deal on your specific interests.

===============================================================

As noted earlier, my STS research tries to explore the general “patterns” involved so we can better understand and manage STS issues in our everyday lives, even including the corporations we work for.

More to come after I update my websites with some books, articles, other forms of publication, etc. on many of these aspects I have researched and developed over the past few decades.

Many of my current PowerPoint presentations present the “skeleton” of what these books will flesh out.

My Kaypro book is a start and lays some of the “ basic initial groundwork / patterns “ based on those early years of personal computers of
the 1980’s.

Amazingly, some of the “ same patterns “ continue today in so many ways and not just in computing – will we ever learn - can we ever learn even – or like the “ hamster in the revolving cage “ – just keep going around and around over the same things forever ?

================================================================

Locally, the giant of the USA steel industry, Bethlehem Steel in nearby Bethlehem, PA USA – has long since been gone – bankruptcy – some local people are still in a state of shock –who could imagine such a giant just gone – the area looks like something out of a WW II bombed out city – blocks and blocks of decaying old buildings, etc. – the city still is trying to recover.

Who is next ?

=================================================================================

All related to computing also – what is up with Microsoft [another Bethlehem Steel – as incomprehensible as that may seem?] ? Did Gates get out just in time ?

Apple now seems to be well ahead in many ways, but including other things “not” PC’s !

Is Jobs a genius or what ??? Certainly very controversial from the " get go ! "

Not too long ago many were thinking Apple was the next to bite the dust in the computing world !

How times change so fast for very unpredictable reasons.

=================================================================

So do your own research and let us all benefit from it if only by just posting it on this web site or others – even your own web site, blog, etc.

You have your own special perspective from being from UK, especially since we are all so “global” today and need to understand how so many others perceive things.

Thanks for your interest !

All the best in all you continue to do always.

Frank

P.S.

Since you are in the UK, you may be interested that a “ central focus “ that got me started on all this was the expansion of the British Navy before WWI and Churchill !

Before that, the Boer War provided many good illustrations of some of the simpler “patterns” of STS that continue even today.

Check my website for lists of some of these initial PowerPoint presentations.

The folder “Literature” gives some background info.

Then the great STS escalation of warfare in WW II required “ computing “ in so many ways and we were on our way into what we now call “vintage computers” in so many aspects, so much involved in UK of course !

Note –

In the future it may be best for us and others interested to PM each other and / or you can use the email contact on my website, so we do not take up so much space on this website.

Back