• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mounting old CPU's for display

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I have a bunch of CPU's I was thinking of mounting in a display. What kind of sheet material can I use to put the CPUs into (pushing the pins into the material and they will hold) that will hold them without causing any static damage? Where would I buy it?

I figured something like that would be better then dumping the CPUs in a drawer where the pins could get bent. I have a couple small flip open holders where you push the CPUs into the material but don't know what it is made out of.

Black anti-static carbon foam is probably what you want. You can buy it in sheets from electrical suppliers, eBay, et c. If you get it used, make sure it hasn't degraded -- it crumbles into nasty black dust when it gets old. A lot of people use the pink antistatic foam nowadays, but that's probably not what you want for a display.

Corrugated cardboard treated with anti-static spray?
Styrofoam covered with aluminum foil?

That last one--styrofoam is good, but I'd use the rigid stuff used as house insulation (usually 1" thick 2x8 or 4x8 foot sheets). It's much denser than the sort used for packaging (it's extruded). Aluminum foil or conductive paint should render it safe. I've also seen antistatic styrofoam, but not for some time.

Back