• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: This Case, But With Less Broken

Raven

Veteran Member

(The broken isn't apparent from pictures, but the front button is jammed and the front panel wants to fall off - the side has a curve so the lid won't snap down, there are clips missing, etc.)

Raven:

Just received an almost identical case yesterday from some recycler in South Dakota. I paid $15 plus $17 shipping. No PS but it did have a working Chinon 3.5 floppy. No dents or cracks and it cleaned up real nice. It was designed for a 486 with two 3.5 slots and three 5.25/full size slots. The thing was stamped 'FEB 1995' on the inside. If your interested PM me. BTW, already stuffed the GA486VL in there with everything it needs.

The case that Mr. Orange was referring to was not similar in anything other than general organization (horizontal with 5.25" bays on the right, AT). He also wasn't selling it anyway.

I am still seeking this case.

The case that Mr. Orange was referring to was not similar in anything other than general organization (horizontal with 5.25" bays on the right, AT). He also wasn't selling it anyway.

I am still seeking this case.
OK, I'll bite: what's so special about this case that sets it apart from a thousand other similar desktop cases? How about a few dabs of hot melt glue?

Well I just like it. I like how the front panel has ridges on the front, gives it some personality. I like that it's a horizontal AT. I like that it has a special case-top opening mechanism that allows you to push in two points and flip the top up without having to pull out a screwdriver. I like the patterns in the plastic lines..

It's mostly just that it's aesthetically pleasing to me - most horizontal AT desktop cases are either very boring and generic, or proprietary and/or strongly branded. I'd like to find a horizontal desktop case to build a machine into that won't say "Packard Bell" or anything like that, will be standard-AT, and look aesthetically pleasing to me.

I can't repair this case because it's broken in places that are meant to come apart to open the case - little clips and such - and it would either be permanently sealed (unacceptable, I toy with my hardware constantly) or easily re-broken.

I just thought that perhaps someone had one of this particular case sitting around in their collection (some clone cases were very widespread and common) and most people don't care about a clone case, so I figured they'd sell it if asked.

Edit: Oh, and also a plus is that this case is pretty small. While I find the IBM 5150/60/61 case very nice looking, it's a hulking monster by comparison to this case. I'd also accept smaller cases than this - three 5.25" bays aren't necessary. I could live with two, or even one, if it means a smaller case.

So if anybody has another case to recommend or sell to me, fire away w/ some pics, and perhaps you'll have one I like - just make sure it's relatively small.

Yeah, kinda neat-looking; I just scrapped a couple like that (but not nearly as nice) but they were a little awkward to work on 'cause being so narrow the MoBo had to go under the drive bays. I like to be able to see and get at it all ;-)

It takes a mid-size AT board.. The old-fashioned original AT that went out of popularity as the 486 matured would not fit in it, but there are especially tiny AT boards that would have far too much room in there. I'm not sure what you call the mid-sized ones, TBH.

A "baby AT" board is the same size as the motherboard in a 5160--a standard XT-sized board. Usually, it even has the standoff holes in the same place, as well as additional ones to mount in a full-sized AT case.

What do you call the ~1' wide, ~5" long boards in baby-AT compatible form? Micro-AT? :D

What you're describing sounds like the "medium" boards I speak of, but I have FAR smaller (usually surface-mounted 386s).

I don't recall a name for the very small boards. But a "Baby AT" was the 5160-sized boards and cases to differentiate them from the "full sized" AT boards and cases. My Micron 386, for example, takes a full-sized AT case, as does my Faraday A-Tease 286.

Back