• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

It's 1976. What's on Your Holiday Gift List?

I was dialing into work using the guts from an old Novation modem in 1976. 300 baud, but that wasn't bad for the time.

By 1980, I'd discovered Unix and was on USENET. But even in 1976, there were timesharing services that were available. Call Computer in Mountain View hosted a lot of files and correspondence from HBCC.

A good present in 1976 probably was a TI Silent 700 terminal.

Of course, now we have powerful PCs that allow us to do such interesting things...

I think that greenhouse USB thing would be a nice experiment for kids using an old laptop with USB.

A cheap computer for 1976? That's what I built at the time: an Elf. Netronics had a kit called the Elf II that included Pixie graphics and an expansion bus for about $100, or you could build an Elf on Vectorboard using the Popular Electronics articles, end cost about $50 to 100 depending on how good you were at finding bargains. 256 bytes of RAM in the basic set-up. You could put images on the TV, play music if you added a buffer transistor and a speaker to the 1802's Q line, and learn to program in machine language using Tom Pittman's "An Introduction to Programming."

The KIM-1 also fits in the low budget I gave. It was $245, and I almost got one but the 6502's instruction set was so weird it took me a long time to accept it.

At the time, my initial cash for electronics came from a newspaper route and a job at 7-11. That's what paid for my Elf. Then I bought several bushel boxes of scrapped boards with memory chips on them and pulled the memory. I then sold that to get more money for electronics, as well as fixing TVs when I could. A local shop let me come in and help out when I had a free afternoon, plus I was in an apartment complex where everyone found out about me pretty quickly.

I would have liked to buy better systems at the time, but I was forcing myself to put most of my money away for college (at the time I was expecting to have to pay my own way entirely). Fortunately I had friends who often let me use their older systems on "extended loans", so I got to use a Scelbi 8B and an AIM-65.

What would I put on my list? Well, the present me has a different perspective than the then-me. Here's what the present me would choose:
Low budget: KIM-1. Plenty of information from a great user community, open to hardware hacking, and the basis of the later Commodores and uncle to the other 6502s.

Medium Budget: A low end SWTPC 6800 kit and a TVT-2.

High End: At the low end of the high end I'd take a Poly-88 System 4 with 8080CPU, 8 or 16K of RAM, BASIC, cassette interface, parallel ASCII keyboard and TV monitor. I'd also spring for their prototyping board. It was as close to a packaged system with an open design as you could get back then. Graphics, BASIC, well integrated design.

If I was going to spend more than the price of a car, I'd go for:
IMSAI 8080 with
16K RAM, on either IMSAI or Godbout boards.
Processor Techonology 3P+S
Cromemco VDT-1 board
and maybe a Dazzler board if I could still afford it.

I wouldn't want an Altair, I'm afraid. I'd assembled some for pay for others, and I didn't like it. The IMSAI board I liked a lot more. If the Sol-20 had been available, that's what I would have got rather than the IMSAI or the Altair, but it didn't come out until '77 even thought it was announced late in '76.

Back