lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
Recently acquired a 5150 256k board with the following

• Coprocessor
  • Dual 5.25 Drives
  • 5.25 Controller Card
  • Synchronous Communications Card
  • Quadram Quadboard with Serial/Parallel Leads fully populated with RAM

Strangely, this unit did not come with a display card.

Thanks to a fellow VCF member who was able to hook me up with the Color Graphics Card for the unit. I'm still missing a keyboard which I hope to remedy today. It did have some memory errors but I discovered it was due to incorrectly configured DIP switches. Boots up off of disk or ROM basic fine. Once I get the keyboard I will run full diagnostics on it to give it a proper workout.

Keyboard has arrived. I have another one coming from eBay as well. It is amazing how much these things cost in relation to IBM PS/2 keyboards. Anyway since my last post, I've recieved Microsoft Word 5.25 NIB, CP/M NIB (but for Xerox 1800), IBM TopView NIB, and IBM Electric Poet (kind of like DOS PowerPoint).

More stuff for the 5150 came recently. I was able to find a Guide to Operations with disks and another keyboard. Exciting stuff!

Well, I'm done with this project. The 5150 is complete. It will actually be set up in my living room as a conversation piece and a word processing system via Enable Works/OA. I've fully populated the five slots with disk controller, AST Six Pack Plus (only using the serial card), Token Ring 16/4 card, Plus Hard Card 20 and the CGA card. DOS 2.1 will be the DOS for this model.

I've never heard of Enable Works/OA. How does that work?
Many moons ago an aunt who worked at a scientific company, in their IT department would often get goodies to bring home as they were discarded. One of these included software from Enable software. Now Enable OA was their big product kind of like Microsoft Works in terms of having all the pieces of the software, but even more high end than Microsoft Office because it does really do just about anything you could ask.

too Funny I wrote Electric Poet when I was in my 20s, feel free to contact me if you need any help with it, I am happy to see somebody still using it!

Back