• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: 8086 / 80286 / 80386 / 80486 systems

PeterNY

Veteran Member
For my retro gaming hobby I am looking for 8086 / 80286 / 80386 / 80486 systems. I can pick-up on Long Island, NY and adjacent areas. I will pay a nominal fee for equipment. :D

I prefer early 80486's because VLB and PCI really do not work well. I just blew up another floppy disk controller on my VLB I/O card and that is getting really annoying. I never had those issues with ISA I/O controllers.

I am also interested in vintage sound cards to add to my collection. However, when you need cash I recommend selling these on eBay as they can fetch nice amounts. :cool:

Let me know when you can help out.​

Last edited by a moderator:
...I can pick-up on Long Island, NY...

Ok, I'm close... Alphabetically... :D

...I prefer early 80486's because VLB and PCI really do not work well. I just blew up another floppy disk controller on my VLB I/O card and that is getting really annoying. I never had those issues with ISA I/O controllers...

Why not just run an ISA disk controller on your motherboard, using the VLB slot(s) only for video?...

Ok, I'm close... Alphabetically... :D
NM: never been. Closest I have been is NV. LOL

Why not just run an ISA disk controller on your motherboard, using the VLB slot(s) only for video?...
Obviously I can run ISA I/O and video cards on a VLB board. The only issue that I have been unsuccessful in procuring affordable ISA cards: VLB cards shows up around $ 2 on eBay regularly. Here on Long Island, NY the only old hardware easily found is either Pentium II and onward (all integrated) or consoles (Atari, Sega) so of no use or value.

There are a lot of folks on eBay nowadays that charge $ 10 - 20 for an ISA card: no way!​

Well, I'm up near Albany, NY, so that's not too close to you, but I may be down in Nyack to pick up a unit heater soon...I'll let you know how that works out, as I have a lot of old systems that need thinned out!

Well if you wouldn't mind paying a small shipping fee I think I may have a couple of old sound blaster ISA cards and maybe a 286 mother board available. all my 486's are VLB or PCI. Let me know if your interested. Also one more thing when you say 8086 will a 8088 do?

Well, I'm up near Albany, NY, so that's not too close to you, but I may be down in Nyack to pick up a unit heater soon...I'll let you know how that works out, as I have a lot of old systems that need thinned out!

Awesome! I visit Albany, NY for the tulip festival sometimes: my wife's cousin lives there. Let me know what you can bring down to Nyack,NY and what will fit in a Lincoln LS or Ford Expedition (your choice: LOL).​

For my retro gaming hobby I am looking for 8086 / 80286 / 80386 / 80486 systems. I can pick-up on Long Island, NY and adjacent areas. I will pay a nominal fee for equipment. :D

I prefer early 80486's because VLB and PCI really do not work well. I just blew up another floppy disk controller on my VLB I/O card and that is getting really annoying. I never had those issues with ISA I/O controllers.

I am also interested in vintage sound cards to add to my collection. However, when you need cash I recommend selling these on eBay as they can fetch nice amounts. :cool:

Let me know when you can help out.
You say you "just blew up another floppy disk controller"? Maybe it's time to check your mobo VLB slots real good and you might want to monitor your PS and see where your voltages are. I've been running the same old VLB video and VLB controller on different 486 mobos for a long time and so far, nothing ever blew just because it was VLB.

Awesome! I visit Albany, NY for the tulip festival sometimes: my wife's cousin lives there. Let me know what you can bring down to Nyack,NY and what will fit in a Lincoln LS or Ford Expedition (your choice: LOL).​

You say you "just blew up another floppy disk controller"? Maybe it's time to check your mobo VLB slots real good and you might want to monitor your PS and see where your voltages are. I've been running the same old VLB video and VLB controller on different 486 mobos for a long time and so far, nothing ever blew just because it was VLB.

I suspect you are right. The VLB video also has some issues: very often it will switch to monochrome after I exit a game.​

FWIW, 486 PCI was always a source of trouble for me, but VLB never was. PCI was placed on 486 boards more for the pizazz of the name than for the functionality--it was really a Pentium-centric bus (or at least pentium chipset centric.)

VLB video was the best thing about VLB. Using it for low speed general purpose I/O like floppy drives doesn't make much sense. SCSI interfaces make more sense, if you want SCSI in a 486, but I recommend sticking with IDE unless you're building a period-accurate server using NT 3.51 or LANMAN.

FWIW, 486 PCI was always a source of trouble for me, but VLB never was. PCI was placed on 486 boards more for the pizazz of the name than for the functionality--it was really a Pentium-centric bus (or at least pentium chipset centric.)
You are probably right: my system is probably just "buggy". I will be on the look out for a replacement.

VLB video was the best thing about VLB. Using it for low speed general purpose I/O like floppy drives doesn't make much sense. SCSI interfaces make more sense, if you want SCSI in a 486, but I recommend sticking with IDE unless you're building a period-accurate server using NT 3.51 or LANMAN.
SCSI is over the top to play vintage games. I am not planning on running a server. The most I would do in networking would be Netware Light to move files over coax.​

OOpps I'm gonna have to back off on the 8088. It's the only one I have besides my IBM PC. Sorry about that. Let me see if I can find the sound blasters and will get back to you. I think the 286 has 1 Meg of RAM but need to double check.

OOpps I'm gonna have to back off on the 8088. It's the only one I have besides my IBM PC. Sorry about that. Let me see if I can find the sound blasters and will get back to you. I think the 286 has 1 Meg of RAM but need to double check.

No problem. Eventually I will find systems I am sure. Thanks for putting in the effort!​

Well it seems as though I only have 2 Sound blaster ISA cards afterall. One is a Sound Blaster Pro 2, and the other is an AWE 64. The 80286 mother board has 2 Megs of RAM and it is using 1 Megabit DRAM modules and I even found the manual for it! If still interested let me know. Shipping shouldn't be that much for all 3 items.

Well it seems as though I only have 2 Sound blaster ISA cards afterall. One is a Sound Blaster Pro 2, and the other is an AWE 64. The 80286 mother board has 2 Megs of RAM and it is using 1 Megabit DRAM modules and I even found the manual for it! If still interested let me know. Shipping shouldn't be that much for all 3 items.

Sure. See my private message reply.​

This morning my HDD controller failed as well (e.g. the VLB I/O card is fried) so it must be the motherboard.​

As promised here is a picture of the 286 motherboard. :D CMOS battery is in great shape no leakage.

Attachments

• 100_0496.jpg
    100_0496.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1
I bought an IBM PS/ValuePoint (ValuePoint) 425SX/Si and 325T today so that is going be exciting.​

Back