• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my 5150 and 5160 working (pics)

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i got the complete 5160 machine delivered the other day, and my new 5150 motherboard showed up today to replace the dead one i had in my case. i'm excited to finally have some true original IBMs. :)

unfortunately i have no IBM monitors and only one IBM keyboard. these machines aren't anything super amazing, and definitely nothing you guys haven't seen before but i love them anyway.

click the pic for fullsize to read the 5150's screen.

the 5150:
-original i8088 CPU (from my dead 16-64 KB board, the new mobo came with no CPU)
-64-256 KB board loaded with 256
-AST SixPakPlus to bump it up to 640 KB and give it a RTC
-real IBM CGA card (not a clone)
-3Com 3C503 ethernet card
-IBM 360 KB floppy
-20 MB Everex MFM hard drive on a WD controller (but i need to replace the drive it suffers chronic stiction problems when it gets turned off after i get it working, thus why it booted into ROM BASIC there)

the 5160: (this baby's loaded)
-AMD 8088 CPU
-i8087 coproc
-loaded with 640 KB
-Sound Blaster Pro 2.0
-Seagate 30 MB RLL drive on WD controller
-CGA in the pic, but see below..
-clone NE1000 ethernet card
EDIT: forgot, it also has a "no-slot-clock" on the board, so it has an RTC

i decided to switch out the CGA with VGA in the 5160 though, since i would like to use it mostly for old games. this looks SO much better.

ibm5160-vga.jpg

:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

yeah, that's staying. :inlove:

Last edited:
Thanks for the linkage. Unfortunately the Mrs. is putting a serious kibosh on my System Purchases. Something about having a computer part store in the office :). So until I clean up the office so we can walk around in it and get rid of the extras no more purchases for me. But at $95 w/ free S&H it is a steal... Did yours come w/ any cards inside (video, controller, etc?) or was it picked clean? Thanks!

Thanks for the linkage. Unfortunately the Mrs. is putting a serious kibosh on my System Purchases. Something about having a computer part store in the office :). So until I clean up the office so we can walk around in it and get rid of the extras no more purchases for me. But at $95 w/ free S&H it is a steal... Did yours come w/ any cards inside (video, controller, etc?) or was it picked clean? Thanks!

ouch! my family is starting to get concerned with my hoarding as well, so i know what that's like. you should see our basement, even i'll admit it's kind of ridiculous the piles of computers and parts i have laying about. and no, it wasn't picked at all. everything was in there! upon arrival, it had CGA, parallel, hard drive/controller, floppy drive/controller, and even an RTC installed on the board.

I never knew you could run a later Ultima like that on a 5160!!! I totally got to get an 8-bit VGA card later for mine.
Yes, nice IBMs.

Back