• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GRiD vs Tandy

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
I have come across a GRiD 420s and got it for 10$, it looks IDENTICAL to my tandy 2500hd. it's like GRiD bought a bunch of tandy cases and got licensing for the form factors and such, even down to the proprietary floppy, tandy sound isn't there though, but the holes for the plugs are.. Are GRiD and Tandy related in any way?

GRiD started off in Fremont, CA and was later acquired by Tandy. So, yes, there is a relationship--and like lots of other technology firms that were acquired by people who didn't know what they had, GRiD is mostly just a memory.

It was my understanding that Grid was the originator of the Tandy laptops. Tandy
later bought the company. Sort of like the printers were all made by printer companies
and custom badged for Tandy.

The Tandy Laptops (other than the 1400FD) were actually a partnership between Tandy and Panasonic. Take a look at the later Panasonic "Business Partner" series of laptops, such as the CF150/250/350 and CF170/270/370 and CF380/480. I believe that the first model was the Panasonic CF150 / Tandy 1100FD. The factory that Tandy used for the laptops and the 1000 series desktops starting with the SL2/TL2 series was a joint venture between Tandy and Matsushita (the parent company of Panasonic at the time)

Later on, there were some other deals with Digital and GRiD, so some models were sold under all 4 brands. The Tandy 3820HD, GRiD 1755, Panasonic CF-380, and DECpc 320p are all the exact same laptop with different brands on them..

Back