• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So how do you protect your vintage computers?

Holmes

Experienced Member
Hi All,

I tried searching on this topic, and it doesn't look like there's been one like it!

How do you protect your computers from time? Since many vintage PCs have some physical aging (yellowing, sun-damage, etc), how do you try to keep your babies looking clean and new (or as-new-as-possible)?

I read some articles about oxidation damage to these computer case plastics. I thought about boxing them up in their original boxes in plastic, but where's the fun in that? I collect these machines so I can USE them.

So I decided to make computer covers for them. I figured sunlight and air flow were the evil components. Since computers preserved in their original plastic appear to be unchanged from the passage of time, I figured that a plastic bag would probably be the best. The problem with it is it's so ugly.

I decided to use a 100% polyester fabric. Each time I get a new PC, I make paper templates for the cover, cut the fabric to size, and stitch it all together. They take a little time, but it's a labor of love. OK, it's not too manly, but I promise I listen to manly music while I'm doing it!

So here are some examples of my covers:

My IBM PC (5150):
DSC02731.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

My IBM PS/2 Model 70 (8570):
DSC02730.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

I guess this button says it all!
DSC02729.jpg

So am I the only one that does this?

Well done! Not the least because you actually made something yourself. BTW, there is a history of hundreds of years of fine sowing by both men and women called tailors. I could go on about how knitting is traditionally done by men, and how some of the most famous knitters of our century are men. In the days when soldiers didn't have everything done for them, they were expected repair their own uniforms. Self reliance used to be considered a manly trait and you gotta wonder where all the "men" went eh? But I digress ...

I've only seen one person do something like this and he used plastic garbage bags. Functional but ugly. Yours are the best.

Protecting my vintage stuff is probably the biggest hassle of owning, the paranoia of it getting damaged, the space it takes up, not easy !

That's really nice dust covers you have there, because that's all they'll do unfortunately. You can't protect from yellowing even in the dark. There's lots of things that cause it, and even if you put them into a perfectly sealed and humity/temperature controlled environment, they can still yellow due to the process already starting.

But lucky there is a solution. It used to be "retr0brite", but now all you need is "nappisan" and water to restore yellowed plastics. There is a thread here about it if you want to know more.

So yea, as a result of being able to restore yellowing, I don't give a rats arse about yellowing anymore. ;)

But yes, those are very tops dust covers you made. Very very nice. :)

Thanks.

I have read some about "retr0brite", but I've never heard of "nappisan".

My understanding of yellowing is that there is some degree of yellowing on most of the plastics due to certain ingredients in it.

That doesn't explain, however, these examples of computers that are found still packed in their original boxes, in their original plastic, and do not appear to have yellowed at all. For this reason, I've got to believe that reducing the air exposure is a substantial part of the process.

Now it's true, you can't STOP the process, but what I've seen and read about it this tells me that:
1) it does occur as an inherent process in the material,
2) it can be accelerated by direct sunlight,
3) it can be accelerated by being open to the air

Now there is a ton of info out there on this subject, and I've read a good bit of it, but not all of it. If anyone can correct me on this, I'm happy to learn.

Retr0brite looks really cool, and I'm anxious to try it on my Mac 128k. I'm a bit nervous about if it will do any damage. One thing that I'm also a bit nervous about as well is some "patchiness" of some resulting computers. Some before-and-after pictures show that the "before" plastic is usually extremely yellowed (but SMOOTHLY yellowed). Then they show the "after" where the yellowing is dramatically improved, but it somewhat "patchy" with some uneven areas. I wonder what that's about. I'm not sure if I dislike the yellowing or the patchiness more. It does seem like the process does require some skill to perform well (mixture ratios, sun/UV exposure, duration of treatment, etc).

I think I'll sit on the sidelines for now until the process is more mature! Thanks for pointing me to nappisan, though. I'd never heard of that one.

Here's an interesting thought. Does this whole discussion kind of remind anyone of the research of Louis Pasteur in studying bacteria and what caused bacteria to grow in different mediums? As I recall, he initially produced a closed flask of growth medium which no bacteria grew in, but then his naysayers said "it wasn't exposed to the air", so he expanded his experiment by building a narrow curved tube to "expose" it to the air, and it kept the growth medium free from bacteria. I believe this original experiment is still in some museum somewhere.

To me, it sounds a little like the discussions around his topic of yellowing. Anyway, I wonder if our issue of plastic yellowing will be looked back on in many years in any sort of a similar way. Probably not, but it feels kind-of cool.

Last edited:
The traditional IBM PC-line, at least, were painted (including monitors). The paint will protect against yellowing, and the only two spots prone to the phenomenon is the two screwcovers on the top of the MDA/CGE/EGA/PGC monitors. It may well be that the PS/2 line cases are painted too (most likely), but I don't know for sure.

The reason why it yellows is that UV rays from the sun breaks off Br or Cl atoms from some of the molecules in the plastic (depends on the kind of plastic). These atoms quickly oxidizes, and it's their oxidized form which gives the yellowish color. In other words, the best protection you can get is something that compleetely blocks UV rays.

Last edited:

Nappisan is a brand name rather than a technique or recipe. What MV75 is referring to is a retr0bright-type soak where instead of H2O2 and a pinch of laundry whitener to "activate" the solution, you just use a concentrated solution of the laundy whitener. The laundry whitener normally contains 20 to 35% of sodium percarbonate, which itself releases H2O2 (I think). Other brand names are Oxy, Oxy-magic, Nappi-san, etc.

Several people (including myself) have been experimenting with this. It seems to work well although like the H2O2 soak, I wouldn't use it where the plastic had lables or dark areas. Best to use retr0bright paste for these, and paint around them.

Tez

Last edited:
Thanks.

My understanding of yellowing is that there is some degree of yellowing on most of the plastics due to certain ingredients in it.

That doesn't explain, however, these examples of computers that are found still packed in their original boxes, in their original plastic, and do not appear to have yellowed at all. For this reason, I've got to believe that reducing the air exposure is a substantial part of the process.

Now it's true, you can't STOP the process, but what I've seen and read about it this tells me that:
1) it does occur as an inherent process in the material,
2) it can be accelerated by direct sunlight,
3) it can be accelerated by being open to the air

Now there is a ton of info out there on this subject, and I've read a good bit of it, but not all of it. If anyone can correct me on this, I'm happy to learn.

Yep, just one more common one, heat. And as we know, when you use a electronic anything, heat is a by product.

But yea, you should also see a reduced amount of yellowing with your covers too. Just don't be surprised if they don't stay white forever. Also by keeping them dust free, they'll appear whiter for much longer. :) So extra bonus there.

As for the sealed stuff, they obviously wern't exposed to start the process, nor were they exposed to bad storage conditions such as hot attics, etc. The packaging may give enough insulation as well.

BTW, I like the mouse covers too. :)

So I decided to make computer covers for them. I figured sunlight and air flow were the evil components. Since computers preserved in their original plastic appear to be unchanged from the passage of time, I figured that a plastic bag would probably be the best. The problem with it is it's so ugly.

Off topic: did you consider starting an online business making these for other folks? :) On topic: I remember computers being covered in the 1980s since they were so expensive. I never did. I like looking at my computers when I walk downstairs to take a shower in the morning (I have my own bathroom in the basement where I keep my computer lab).​

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, there is a history of hundreds of years of fine sowing by both men and women called tailors. I could go on about how knitting is traditionally done by men, and how some of the most famous knitters of our century are men.

Off topic: For generations my father's family were tailors. In the 20th century we lost the tradition due to confection mass production of clothing. I never really got into it myself.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, just one more common one, heat. And as we know, when you use a electronic anything, heat is a by product.

But yea, you should also see a reduced amount of yellowing with your covers too. Just don't be surprised if they don't stay white forever. Also by keeping them dust free, they'll appear whiter for much longer. :) So extra bonus there.

As for the sealed stuff, they obviously wern't exposed to start the process, nor were they exposed to bad storage conditions such as hot attics, etc. The packaging may give enough insulation as well.

BTW, I like the mouse covers too. :)

Oh yeah, heat. Makes sense.

Thanks for the comment about the mouse cover! Actually, that mouse cover is a failed attempt at a mouse cover for IBM's first mouse for the PS/2. It's a bit of a thick mouse, and I didn't account for the tolerances well enough, so it was too small. Didn't know what to do with the failed version until I got the mouse you see in the picture, which is a Mouse Systems optical mouse from the 80's, which it fits perfectly!

I love that they had optical mice even back then, except they needed a reflective mouse surface to work, AND they needed AC power. They are noticeably smoother in functioning, though, which helps make up for those pains.

Off topic: did you consider starting an online business making these for other folks? :) On topic: I remember computers being covered in the 1980s since they were so expensive. I never did. I like looking at my computers when I walk downstairs to take a shower in the morning (I have my own bathroom in the basement where I keep my computer lab).

I did think of doing that, but not at the beginning. Actually, my wife saw them and suggested that to me. I'd probably have to get a lot quicker at making them in order for them to be cost-effective. I'm not much of a seamstress. The materials are cheap enough, though.

If I ever do seriously think of doing it, I'll post it up on this site.

That is true, though, that I do miss seeing my PCs "unclothed" ;)

Nice handiwork. One reaction - does the polyester create static electricity?

Great question. No, they do not, which is a bit of a surprise to me. I never noticed any, but I had to check after I saw your question!

So I just did some research about static generating materials. It turns out that when you mate one material that readily accepts a (+) charge (such as dry skin or hair), along with a material that readily accepts a negative charge (like polyester), you get a strong static charge. It appears that this is only when the 2 types are rubbed together, which creates the charge difference, and thus causes a spark. Materials that are paired with generally neutral or "like-type" materials, will generate less static. Here's the link for a big list of materials and what "type" they are:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/static_materials.htm

That being said, the covers do respond to the static of the monitor screen, which I think would apply to any fabric brought close to it. But, no, they do not appear to generate a significant charge when rubbed against the regular computer casing.

Back