• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

I have a buyer from Virginia.

facattack

Veteran Member
For the following:

Apple II GS.
Monitor, color RGB.
two 3.5 drives.
one 5.25 drives.
mouse.
oversized keyboard.
Joystick.
Vulcan HDD (4 MB), non-working.
GS Warpdisk RAM extender (? I forget what that thing is called. ?) Transwarp?

Help me think up the prices! Plz!

So far I'm thinking this way.... monitor $60. CPU $85. disk drives $40 each.

Attachments

• ECP_00001_1.jpg
    ECP_00001_1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Use eBay to look up the individual parts or the complete system and use that as a guideline - that's what I do.

Well, the "buyer" actually owns a website about Apple II computers. I won't mention names here, but I'm annoyed with myself for not asking earlier what his involvement in the retro scene was. Nice enough guy. He let me down easy when I quoted the price I'm asking for... $250.

I'm low on funds but I can't afford to sell it all of cheaply for about $30. Too bad I don't have a decent camera or I'd make up a little webpage showing off what I got. I'm not serious about finding a buyer at any price atleast not right now. I expect to run low of funds frequently so selling now wouldn't make much sense.

Well, the "buyer" actually owns a website about Apple II computers. I won't mention names here, but I'm annoyed with myself for not asking earlier what his involvement in the retro scene was. Nice enough guy. He let me down easy when I quoted the price I'm asking for... $250.

If the buyer owns a website about Apple II computers, then he probably owns multiple machines and may even be a seller of those machines. If that is the case, then he may buy up these computers at a discount and sell then for a profit. Having a website gives a lot of exposure to computer collectors.

I'm low on funds but I can't afford to sell it all of cheaply for about $30. I'm not serious about finding a buyer at any price at least not right now. I expect to run low of funds frequently so selling now wouldn't make much sense.

A lot of people are have problems paying bills in this economy. I agree with you on not selling my computers for peanuts. I had to pay good money when I acquired them. I won't let them go for a sum that would only give me a dinner at Taco Bell.

Yea, but how much of your collection did you get for pretty much nothing? Anybody who has been collecting for years probably got stuff that nobody else wanted and now it has some decent value. I recall years ago IIgs systems were hard to give away, I got my first one for just shipping (before oil spiked too). The next two systems were pretty much local finds for free (and better condition because they were not from a school).

If you need ebay prices sell it on ebay, you can get used 6MP cameras for very little these days to take pictures.

So far I'm thinking this way.... monitor $60. CPU $85. disk drives $40 each.

I'd say that's high. That's probably about $150 on ebay maybe less in an auction. The Vulcan HD if working would be worth more than all the rest. I've seen those go for $200. I have no idea about dead ones but, it still might fetch something.

Oh BTW, just noticed the guy from Virginia is on this forum. He's Drken. :D

EDIT: Get stuff for free? Nope. I ebayed this massive lot with an Apple II GS in it for $600+ on ebay because I made the mistake of getting in bidding war. The seller was some company that does ebay auctions. HelpUsell or something like that....? It came with the hard drive plus a ton of floppies that the previous owner had apparently put programmed software on he or she had done themself. I sold all of that to someone else for uh... I forget how much, but I gave them an old II GS with a cracked case (made sure to tell them it was damaged when I got it) plus a monitor more suitable for Apple II E which was barely color... AND all the custom software I got. I kept the games that came with the lot.

In retrospect I should have archived all the floppies onto my computer.... sighs... wutever.

Oh, here's the company I bought it from........ http://877isoldit.com/

Last edited:
Our shop sells IIgs systems with a stock main unit (no additional cards), color monitor, keyboard, mouse, and single 5 1/4" drive for $150 with the assurance it's all working and clean and they sell. Not fast mind you but they do sell.
Same goes for IIe platinum systems as well: Stock IIe platinum with 128k, mouse, single drive, and a monochrome monitor for $150.

Our shop sells IIgs systems with a stock main unit (no additional cards), color monitor, keyboard, mouse, and single 5 1/4" drive for $150 with the assurance it's all working and clean and they sell. Not fast mind you but they do sell.
Same goes for IIe platinum systems as well: Stock IIe platinum with 128k, mouse, single drive, and a monochrome monitor for $150.

Seems about the going rate for a IIe platinum like that. You can get IIgs systems a whole lot cheaper on ebay. You have to deal with shipping though and the risk. Although I've bought probably six and not a single one ended up being bad. Most for $15 to $30. Nobody loves the IIgs for some reason. They go really cheap. I try to tell people they play most of the classic Apple II stuff just fine and you can play some cool later IIgs games on top of that. Only thing I hate is the din serial port. Its annoying and getting it working with ADTPRO is sometimes hard.

Only ones you have to watch for are the ROM 03 versions. I'd never buy one I didn't see a picture of the battery. The batteries can leak and destroy everything.

If the machine has a working Transwarp GS accelerator card, that alone can fetch $200-300 depending on the market and the buyer. Leaking batteries are never a problem on these machines. They are 3V lithium cells, not NiCds. The ROM 01 has the battery soldered on (mine is STILL working after 24 years), while the 03 has a replaceable battery, its the same 3V battery that Macs use. ROM 01 machines should have a fully populated Apple 1MB RAM card for a total of 1.25MB, otherwise the machine is pretty useless for IIgs software. ROM 3 machines come with 1.125MB built on, a RAM card is a nice cheap addition to those.

The IIgs is an excellent computer - and very reliable. The only weak point is the power supply. Once you add an accellerator, extra RAM, a hard disk (especially the Focus Drive), and some other stuff, it gets pretty hot in that case. Out of all the IIgses I've seen over the years, I have only seen one or two dead ones - power supplies. I have never seen one of those batteries leak.

As a die hard Apple II geek, I can't imagine a (stock) IIe or a IIgs going for $150. The machines are so common, and so plentiful, and so hard to break, that you shouldn't have to spend a lot to get one. I would not worry about buying an "untested" machine - they're so robust, that actual failures are very rare. The II+ is a bit less reliable, due to the crummy keyboards, 4116 RAM, and lots of sockets, but at least they are easy to fix. But the IIe, IIgs, IIc - you can't kill them. I have a IIc that was thrown into a dumpster - the front right corner of the case is smashed, it's missing a bunch of keys, and it's filthy. I only grabbed it for parts - and it's been sitting in the garage for years. The other day, I plugged it in, just for the heck of it. It worked fine - even the disk drive worked, as well as all the keys on the keyboard.

-Ian

Back