• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need to desolder stuff? Have a woodstove? Read on...

Well, it's probably faster with a heat gun or toaster oven. My wife would have things to say if I used our woodstove to do this...

But you're on the right track. The slave labor in China that pulls chips for resale often uses a charcoal brazier to do the same thing. It's probably dangerous.

Generally, I put the board in a vise and heat the back with a propane blowtorch. I've been doing that for years (literally since elementary school...probably explains a lot!) so I can generally strip something the size of an AT motherboard without burning the board at all. Unfortunately, I don't have my shop set up yet at the new house, so there's no vise to use.

I don't think I'd use an open charcoal fire...I've caught the board substrate on fire a few times with the blowtorch method...really awful clouds of burning-resistor-smelling smoke!

I used to use a blowtorch, but I switched to a heat gun a long time ago. It was a pain having to keep buying fuel for the torch - and the heat gun does a better job of regulating the temperature. I don't have a wood stove, but I've been looking into getting an electric skillet for the purpose.

-Ian

I've used one of those old square electric frying pans (filled with sand) with great success.. Lets me do boards outside which is nice.

Cost a couple bucks at the local salvation army.

Back