• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Coiled keyboard cords

Another thought about the possible reasons for the demise of coiled cords :
It may have something to do with the demise of horizontal form factor for computer cases in favor of towers.

Very plausible!

I saw that transition. Curly chords are a fashion item. They were "modern". After years of only straights, we start to see curly chords as a "great idea" and people thought they were very "smart". What we might call "cool" nowadays. When I was young and curly chords were not so common, I too thought they were cool. You will also notice that electric guitarists used to use them despite the hassle. Most of them got smarter. :)

It's funny that you mention that. For me, my first experience with a coiled cord was in the early 90's, after years of seeing/using straight cords and never having seen a curly cord (my elementary school only had Apple II's and PCJr's - I can count on one hand how many times we were allowed to use them - I think the teachers were afraid of them!). By the time I entered Junior High in 1990/91, I finally got to lay eyes on the 5150/5160 for the first time - the computers at my high school's computer and typing labs were the original IBM 5150's with coiled keyboards, while the teacher had a 5160. I remember thinking "this is cool" and playing with the cord rather than listening to the teacher (couldn't type - the clicky noises would give me away immediately!). These were the computers in our labs from 1984 - 1995, my Junior year of HS, when we upgraded to 386's.

Interesting enough.. we had the 5150's in the computer/typing labs, and in every English classroom, we had 4 PS/2 Model 25's with a whopping 2x 3.5" floppy drives! I fell in love with both of these systems, which is why I have them now (well, I've a 5160 rather than a 5150, but only because to me they're virtually interchangeable!)

Back