• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Coiled keyboard cords

Model M's came both ways. I don't really care for coiled cords all that much; they tend to catch on things if you move the keyboard too much. They make sense on telephone handsets, I suppose. I've got a light pen with a coiled card; did anyone ever make a mouse with one?

did anyone ever make a mouse with one?

At least one company did because I saw one on Craigslist. Someone posted a wanted ad saying they wanted a mouse "like this one," and proceeded to post a picture of a 9-pin serial mouse connector. You could see enough of the cord in the picture to see it was coiled, but the mouse itself wasn't pictured, so I couldn't identify the manufacturer.

The ad is still up as of now, though I don't know how long it will be. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/sys/2201012679.html

My computer is from the late 90's where the old mouse's plugged in a different way.

Hehe, very nerdy - in a youthful kind of way, that is. :D I've got a keyboard with a 9 pin connector, so that could be what he's showing, just so we can see the type of connector he's talking about.

I'm with Chuck, curly chords make sense on some mobile microphones, but most other places they are just a nuisance. I remember back in the 70's everybody wanted curly for their guitar chord. They were always in knots and to me it was just humerus. Try to get one of those extracted from a pile of chords, especially if there were two of them in there, and you'll throw them all out.

I've got a curly chord which has 10 gauge wire. It is HUGE! I think it is meant for industrial equipment, such as a 5HP moving motor tool on a production line setup - like the kind that comes down from the ceiling. I'm still hoping to find a good use for it, but I've had it for 30 years now so time is running out. :D

I've got a curly chord which has 10 gauge wire. It is HUGE! I think it is meant for industrial equipment, such as a 5HP moving motor tool on a production line setup - like the kind that comes down from the ceiling. I'm still hoping to find a good use for it, but I've had it for 30 years now so time is running out. :D

Sounds like a good cord to charge your electric car with.

First of all, thanks for your post !

We need the younger generation like you [your profile says you are 15 with 14 years of vintage computing interest – guess you started at an early age – good for you !] to ask such questions to help spread the word so all this expert and historical information does not get lost as time goes by.

We older computer “folk” grew up with computers so many years ago [me since 1974 !], sso ome things are obvious, but some still not.

It also gets us to question things we never thought about.

Specifically, I really do not know either. In all my research I have never come across much specific information on how / why they did certain things in the design and manufacturing process.

Osborne did give an insight in his “hypergrowth” term – things just moving too fast and difficult to keep up.

By the way, his portable / luggable computer – some say the first one - before the Kaypro even, made use of such a coiled keyboard cable, so Kaypro may have just been simply copying the Osborne which had been so successful !

So the case could be made that Kaypro just made use of whatever was already available from many other sources for their computers. They just did not have the time and resources to make everything from the ground up, IBM included with their first PC even – which more easily opened the floodgates for “ clones “ of this computer and all that followed so dramatically !

With the Kaypros, it helped to neatly store the coiled cord on top of the monitor screen when you put the keyboard on top of it to attach the case and keyboard together, since it was suppose to be “portable” – really just “luggable” computer.

Check what Compaq did with their laptop after the Kaypros – see pictures from a Google search – the coiled keyboard cord coils nicely into a tube in the lower left corner of the case and appears to not be detachable. So it could not be lost.

Kaypro users notoriously lost their coiled keyboard cords and thus their Kaypros were useless until another one was found.

They looked similar to phone coiled cords, but were not – many posts on this on this site – just do a search. But the end pieces can be for phones.

Kaypro designed their early computers in many innovative ways based on their extensive experience with making very high quality electronic testing instruments, even for the military. This was probably why early Kaypros were so rugged and practical. Many electronic instruments even today make use of such coiled cords since they have so many practical advantages.

Notice the basic first design of the Kaypro II did not change very much over the years as other more advanced Kaypros were developed, even down to the coiled keyboard cord.

Check out Kaypro and other early computer history on Google searches and the free download draft of my Kaypro book on my website.

Of course, coiled cords can be neater – they pull out to the length you need up to 6 feet I believe for the Kaypro. There were some couplers available to attach another one so the length could be up to 12 feet. But with only a 9 inch Kaypro screen, it would be difficult to see at 12 feet and even at 6 feet for those of us older people with eyesight issues – bifocals, etc.

Cords not coiled can get tangled more easily, can be just not as neat and naturally can be more easily bent to possibly break the internal wires.

Chuck may know of some other electronic / electrical issues with such cords, especially as they get too long.

Such coiled keyboard cords continued to be used for many years, but were permanently attached to the keyboard in many cases.

But as noted above, there were disadvantages also.

Now with so many things being wireless, many may not realize this past history, but they will when they search this site because you asked the question

Hope this is of some interest and use.

Will be curious what others have to offer.

Please keep those comments, questions, etc, coming !

People are so busy today, so do not be discouraged if you do not get replies and if those you do get are short.

Wow – a senior member so fast !!!

Frank

Osborne did give an insight in his “hypergrowth” term – things just moving too fast and difficult to keep up.

By the way, his portable / luggable computer – some say the first one - before the Kaypro even, made use of such a coiled keyboard cable

Frank

But don't forget that the first Osborne made use of a flat ribbon cable. The coiled cable came later, so it may have been a case of the coiled cable was better for something that is going to be contantly moved, as it would in the opening and closing of the keyboard on a portable.

GADFRAN said:
We need the younger generation like you [your profile says you are 15 with 14 years of vintage computing interest – guess you started at an early age – good for you !] to ask such questions to help spread the word so all this expert and historical information does not get lost as time goes by.
I don't have 14 years of vintage computing interest. I might have as much as 5 but certainly not 14 :D

So there is no real reason why older keyboard cords were coiled? Interesting...

Nothing I've come across mentions the reason why some had coiled and others straight, however, if I were to speculate, based on having using both, I'd say the coiled ones, when the keyboard was close to the the computer wouldn't be all over the place like a straight one, but allowed you to lean back and put the keyboard on your lap to work with it.

The straight cables, trying to provide the same range, were all over the desktop and, very shortly after the change from coiled to straight, keyboards started incorporating some molded in method of winding up the excess cord if you were sitting close to the computer.

Probably just evolution.

Start with with ribbon cable, change to a coiled cable because it was better than the ribbon (and because telephones were using it), and later switch to a straight cable because the coiled cable kept kinking and was a pain in the butt.

On cars we had carburetors, and then changed to fuel injection - things usually change because something better came along. It's evolution in the industry. IBM 5150, IBM 5160, 1 speed bicycle, 2 speed bicycle, 3 speed bicycle, etc, etc, etc.
It's no big mystery - it's no big question.

I'd bet it had to do with the manufacture. Maybe it was cheaper to use something similar to phone cord at first that didn't require retooling a factory.

Early ads for the IBM PC showed the keyboard being used in all sorts of different positions, especially on the user's lap. At the time, this was really quite a novelty, because most other computers had the keyboard built into the console, and could not be moved around while in use. So as others have noted, the coiled cable allows for this portability by automatically adjusting itself to the required length.

My best guess of why the coiled cable was eliminated from almost all keyboards in the mid-'90s is that most people didn't actually move their keyboard all over the place like that, and usually just kept it in one place, relatively close to the CPU. And besides, those who actually did want to have the keyboard on their lap would just buy a laptop computer in the first place! So, to cut costs, they switched to a shorter straight cord. Even IBM did this with their later Model M keyboards, using a permanently affixed straight cord, versus the original detachable coiled cord, which was available in a ridicuously long 12-foot length (with an equally long-corded mouse, to match).

Interestingly, telephones did not have the now-traditional coiled cable until the mid- to late 1950s; until then, the handset cord was straight, and covered with cloth or rubber, which was not easily stretchable or coil-able.

154hvmf.jpg

I think another factor for moving away from coiled cords might be the reduced mass of (most of) today's keyboards. I can just imagine leaning back with my flimsy new keyboard and it shooting half way back to the desk via the coiled cord.

Cords not coiled can get tangled more easily, can be just not as neat and naturally can be more easily bent to possibly break the internal wires.
With all due respect, that is exactly wrong. :) Quality chord is never coiled. Look at some catalogues for microphone cable and you will see. As for tangling. ??? Coiled chords tangle in the most nasty manner and often won't go back to their original form after abuse. I suggest you try pulling a couple of 12 foot curly guitar chords out of a suitcase full of chords that have just been thrown in at the end of a show. That is a common scenario, as is a cardboard box full of chords. The curly wraps itself around the others and you can't get them apart. If they were all curlies you might as well throw the whole box away. Fortunately straight chords have always been the standard. The curies were just a passing fashion.

Yes there are some quality curlies, and a short one on a microphone such as on a dashboard radio can have advantages. However I think that vwestlife provides the scenario we need to see where this question is at:
Interestingly, telephones did not have the now-traditional coiled cable until the mid- to late 1950s; until then, the handset cord was straight, and covered with cloth or rubber, which was not easily stretchable or coil-able.
I saw that transition. Curly chords are a fashion item. They were "modern". After years of only straights, we start to see curly chords as a "great idea" and people thought they were very "smart". What we might call "cool" nowadays. When I was young and curly chords were not so common, I too thought they were cool. You will also notice that electric guitarists used to use them despite the hassle. Most of them got smarter. :)

Model M's came both ways. I don't really care for coiled cords all that much; they tend to catch on things if you move the keyboard too much.

The original keyboard for the 5150's (Model F I think) came with coiled keyboard cords -- or at least my two had them.

Nothing I've come across mentions the reason why some had coiled and others straight, however, if I were to speculate, based on having using both, I'd say the coiled ones, when the keyboard was close to the the computer wouldn't be all over the place like a straight one, but allowed you to lean back and put the keyboard on your lap to work with it.

Unfortunately those pesky pointing devices had other plans in store for us, rather than letting us recline. Now we just need some sort of long-armed-with-trackball-chair. :D

(On another note, has anybody but me noticed how TINY the wireless (rf or bluetooth) trackball supply is? There's maybe five on the market from 1995 to now, and they're not well designed, only wired ones are for some reason.. what I wouldn't give for a bluetooth logitech trackman!)

As for coiled keyboard cables I use one on a daily basis on my Model M Spacesaver, and I frequently move it from the edge of the desk to close to the monitor, based on whether I'm typing a lot or need some deskspace, and having the coiled cable helps because the cable doesn't get tangled, slack, or too tight - it adjusts. A ribbon cable would have been destroyed by this point and a normal cable would be on it's way.

I think another factor for moving away from coiled cords might be the reduced mass of (most of) today's keyboards. I can just imagine leaning back with my flimsy new keyboard and it shooting half way back to the desk via the coiled cord.

Most modern keyboards rely on a desk underneath them to provide stabilization and support, and are not very comfortable or natural without it underfoot (unlike keyboards of yore). There are some exceptions (Microsoft Arc for one, the curve supports itself when you press on it), but for the majority this is the case..

Probably just evolution.

Gotta keep in mind that it could also be a cost cutting measure, which isn't always a positive change. If there was enough money to be saved in sacrificing a feature, they'd do it.

Last edited:
My first keyboard (Philips) from the late 1980s/early 1990s has a coiled wire: I am very fond of it. :D

Another thought about the possible reasons for the demise of coiled cords :
It may have something to do with the demise of horizontal form factor for computer cases in favor of towers. With this change, people have tended to put their computers under the desk instead of on it, under the screen. In this configuration, the keyboard cable needs to be much longer, since it has to go back all the way to the back of the desk, then down to the computer. A coiled cord would have several drawbacks :
-it would be permanently elongated (in order not to be, it would need to be ridiculously long)
-the coils would tend to catch the edge of the desk when the user drags the keyboard towards him
-it would tend to get mangled with the mouse and screen cords that follow the same path.

With a straight cable, you have none of these problems and contrary to the desktop configuration, you don't have a problem with the cable being too long : just let it hang behind the desk and gravity should take care of the excess length...:)

Back