• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ms-Dos Midi player

linuxlove

Veteran Member
Does anyone know of a program that will play MIDI files with an 8086 CPU?
All the ones that I've seen had lots of pretty graphical effects. Because of that, they all needed a VGA display adapter and a CPU later than the 8086.

You can try the software that comes with the Roland SCC-1. You can find that in a number of places online.

I thought creative's FM organ (came with the card) works?

Just my PS/2... 8MHz 8086, 640k RAM and a Sound Blaster 2.0 card

It works but it will not play .MID files, only .ORG files.

The Creative Organ software is not a MIDI player nor is the Sound Blaster 2.0 MPU-401 compatible. The Sound Blaster 16 is MPU-401 (and thus truly MIDI) compatible.

ok... I just looked through one of the SB16 manuals I have (thank god for PDF!)
play.exe will play wave/cd/midi/cmf/org files from what I saw
give that a try... if you don't have it, you can download this to get it: http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/creative/creative/drivers/sb16awe/95dosapp.exe
yes, it's for sb16... so there's a bunch of useless files for the SB/SBPro... I'm pretty sure play.exe is standalone and will work just on its own... go try it at least!

Does anyone know of a program that will play MIDI files with an 8086 CPU?
All the ones that I've seen had lots of pretty graphical effects. Because of that, they all needed a VGA display adapter and a CPU later than the 8086.

Aztech Labs' Sound Tracks (STRACKS) works just fine playing MIDI files on a 9.54 MHz NEC V20 with CGA and an 8-bit Sound Blaster clone:

Aztech Labs' Sound Tracks (STRACKS) works just fine playing MIDI files on a 9.54 MHz NEC V20 with CGA and an 8-bit Sound Blaster clone:

Would you happen to still have this program? Nothing suggested so far has worked and this looks promising.

Both Voyetra and Cakewalk had full fledged sequencers that were DOS only and text based. I ran Cakewalk 2.0 through 4.0 with my old performance rig -- D20 keyboard, D110 synth module, Alesis Datadisk, Alesis MidiVerb and EWI 3000... all that off a 8mhz XT clone.

Does anyone have one of the MIDI players that employed a modified IBM serial card? (set to current loop, with a different oscillator) as an interface?

interesting....
there's also playmidi.exe in the very old sb16 drivers... might want to give that a shot too... just noticed it last night after I did a test install in virtualbox

I removed the Roland SCC-1B disk since other alternatives are now available.

Last edited:
Back