• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Festival East 7.0 Web Site Launched

billdeg

Technician
Exhibit registration is open!

We have a glitch though. People who are already registered on the vintage.org site from past years should be fine; people who need to register might have trouble. A fix is being researched for this problem .... patience please ....

Some more updates ....

1. VCF East 7.0 is on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Computer-Festival-East-70/127999343939478

Yes, that link stinks. Facebook says we need 25 page fans before we're entitled to a customized link. So please "like" and become a fan of our page ASAP.

2. Dan "Ragooman" Roganti will run a "Build your own transistor logic circuit" workshop. Neat!

3. Our exhibit registration is open at http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/index.php (click the 'exhibits' link on the top right), BUT, it currently only works for people who previously registered. It's not working for new registrants. We're trying to fix that.

4. So far we have lectures confirmed about UNIVAC/Unisys and about the heydey of homebrewed microcomputing in the NYC, NJ, and Philadelphia region. We're working to create lectures about Monrobot; Bell Labs' TRADIC; Electronic Associates; the IBM 1130; Jason Scott's Get Lamp; and our future museum plans. We'll announce those when they become official.

5. So far four exhibitors signed up. We expect 20-30 overall, in line with our past VCF Easts.

6. We'll also have consignment sales, a used book sale, and museum tours.

7. This year's VCF East t-shirt will be AWESOME. The only way to get one is to be there. :)

Uhm, from here it appears that your domain name hasn't propagated to.. uhm... more than 5% of the internet yet.

Domain Server: ns.mob.net
Lookup failed. This does not resolve at this nameserver.

Domain Server: resolver.qwest.net
Time To Live: 3600
IP Address: 75.79.71.21

Domain Server: vnsc-lc-dsl.genuity.net

Domain Server: ns-1.iastate.edu
Time To Live: 181

Domain Server: dns1.mci.com

Domain Server: ns1.us.prserv.net

Domain Server: ns2.mindspring.com

Domain Server: dns1.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net

Domain Server: ns2.us.dellhost.com

Domain Server: ns3.earthlink.net

Domain Server: ns.east.isi.edu

Domain Server: ns1.super-dns.com

Domain Server: ns1.sprintlink.net

Domain Server: cache01.ns.uu.net

Domain Server: ns1.mcleodusa.net

Checking Non US NameServers...

Domain Server: ns3.iinet.net.au

Domain Server: ns1.fcable.co.kr

Domain Server: dns1.cableplus.com.cn

Domain Server: ns1.interplanet.com.mx

How long has it been since you went live / pointed your domain at it's nameservers?

Of course pulling up a whois, NONE of your nameservers appear to actually resolve!
Name Server: DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
Name Server: DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

All black-hole status, like the servers aren't even there.

3. Our exhibit registration is open at http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/index.php (click the 'exhibits' link on the top right), BUT, it currently only works for people who previously registered. It's not working for new registrants. We're trying to fix that.

I think it's fixed now, but I'm not 100% sure .... go ahead and try, and let me know (evan-at-snarc-dot-net) if you have problems.

Whoever registered an exhibit about early GUIs, you need to contact me, there's a problem with your registration -- for starters it lacks your name!

I'll probably go to this if I can get either a) my IMSAI to format a disk (it boots CPM however) or b) I get my N* Horizon running. I'm in Massachusetts.

I'll probably go to this if I can get either a) my IMSAI to format a disk (it boots CPM however) or b) I get my N* Horizon running. I'm in Massachusetts.

Atod, keep in mind that exhibitors must pre-register. Contact me if you have questions.

Epic technical poetry ... only at VCF East

Epic technical poetry ... only at VCF East

On the Day #2 of the VCF East 7.0 (Sunday, May 15), there will be something new and different -- folk singer Mike Agranoff will perform his 1987 epic poem "The Ballad of Captain Crunch" and other technical-themed works.

Really!

VCF East site: http://www.vintage.org/2011/east
VCF on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/vcfeast7 (please 'like' us there)

Exhibitor registration bug is fixed

Exhibitor registration bug is fixed

Go forth and register! The VCF exhibit registration system is finally fixed. (But inform me ASAP if you encounter bugs.)

- Evan

"Teletype 101" workshop at VCF East

"Teletype 101" workshop at VCF East

To everyone, re: VCF East 7.0 hands-on workshops:

Dan Roganti's "Build Your Own Transistor-Logic" workshop is rescheduled to Saturday from 10am-12pm. It was originally Sunday in the same time slot.

Replacing it on Sunday will be "Teletype 101" by Bill Degnan. Bill will teach the basics of evaluating, cleaning, repairing, and connecting the popular Teletype Model '33 series. At the end of the workshop, one randomly selected attendee will win a tested and working '33. The other attendees will have an opportunity to buy an as-is, untested unit for $75 pending availability.

Both workshops cost $40 and are limited to 10 students. (Eight spots remain for Dan's).

Registration is online at http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/workshop.php

Just a quick note..."tested and serviceable" may be a better way to put it, working is too subjective to guarantee as I am not a certified teletype technician, nor am I an expert, and I have no idea what you'd do with it to guarantee whether it will work. The plan is to give anyone interested a headstart on how to evaluate a teletype (is this worth buying?), where to plug in the leads from a computer, how to load a papertape, how a teletype works in general, and that sort of stuff. If you're already an expert you will not learn much.

In short this workshop will be more of a sales demo than a technician's briefing.

bd

Last edited:
YES! The VCF East is not dead! You guys had me worried for awhile. And what luck, the date has changed to one that I can attend now!

What a great way to follow up my finals.

We took a hiatus in 2010, but we announced our plans widely, so I don't know why anyone would think it was "dead" .... anyway .... this year's event is expected to be our biggest and "bestest" VCF East ever.

IBM 1130 Live Restoration @ VCF East

IBM 1130 Live Restoration @ VCF East

Yet another awesome reason to attend VCF East 7.0: witness the beginnings of a "live restoration" of our museum's IBM 1130 mainframe, conducted by Norm Aleks and Brian Knittel, both of http://www.ibm1130.org ... they're traveling all the way from Berkeley, California.

I mentioned the VCF East to a friend of mine, and he decided to come along for the trip. Awesome...

If my Hero Jr.'s replacement power charger arrives in time, I think I just might sign up for an exhibit this year. That would make the whole experience twice as awesome!

Back