• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Festival East 7.0 Web Site Launched

I mentioned the VCF East to a friend of mine, and he decided to come along for the trip. Awesome...

We really appreciate that. Word-of-mouth is the best form of endorsement.

If my Hero Jr.'s replacement power charger arrives in time, I think I just might sign up for an exhibit this year. That would make the whole experience twice as awesome!

Indeed. However you need to decide soon because our available exhibit space is quickly filling up. Also, remember that an exhibit should include not just a theme (in your case, centered on the robot), but also some form(s) of literature, posters, documentation, etc. .... if you have any questions about being an exhibitor then please contact me privately.

Do you recall what microcomputer configurations the Teletype was used with? I have a IMSAI with Processor Technology System B board set (Video, Serial, Parallel, EPROM) and it mentioned using the teletype with the Cutter OS (SOL). I find that interesting because the board set has a 64 character video output + keyboard input. Why would someone need a Teletype?

Anyway, I've always wanted to try the machine since I was a kid. Neat that you are presenting this!

Just a quick note..."tested and serviceable" may be a better way to put it, working is too subjective to guarantee as I am not a certified teletype technician, nor am I an expert, and I have no idea what you'd do with it to guarantee whether it will work. The plan is to give anyone interested a headstart on how to evaluate a teletype (is this worth buying?), where to plug in the leads from a computer, how to load a papertape, how a teletype works in general, and that sort of stuff. If you're already an expert you will not learn much.

In short this workshop will be more of a sales demo than a technician's briefing.

bd

I have a IMSAI with Processor Technology System B board set (Video, Serial, Parallel, EPROM) and it mentioned using the teletype with the Cutter OS (SOL). I find that interesting because the board set has a 64 character video output + keyboard input. Why would someone need a Teletype?

Paper tape! A system like the ASR-33 punches and reads.

Anyway, I've always wanted to try the machine since I was a kid. Neat that you are presenting this!

Thank you. Will you be registering for the workshop?

Also, remember that an exhibit should include not just a theme (in your case, centered on the robot), but also some form(s) of literature, posters, documentation, etc.
Oh, I have got all of the original documentation: blueprints, schematics, instructions, part lists, programming guides, etc. that come with a Hero Jr. when it arrives in kit form. Totally sweet, right?

Yup, that's good stuff!

You'll be the first person to exhibit a Hero at our event. I am looking forward to seeing it. (There I go nagging again .... get thee to the exhibit registration page please! http://www.vintage.org/2011/east/exhibit.php .... spaces are quickly filling up!!)

We have a restored Hero in our museum collection, but it will be in storage, not on display, during VCF-time.

Sorry for interrupting, but the mention of HERO makes me think of some articles once written by Fred D'Ignazio in COMPUTE! in which he recounted teaching a course in robots. As far as I understand, he is today located in North Carolina, but I don't know if it is feasible for you to contact or invite him for this opportunity.

So I recently talked about the VCF to my campus' chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery (of which I am a president). Our treasurer expressed interest, and now will be joining me and my friend on our trip.

Having an exhibit will totally rule...

Back