• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Usb typewriter !!!

lol (watching the ipad move). I can't say much more than wtf. But it looks like they want to sell the modded typewriter I guess? Wonder how hard it would be to just tear apart a cheap keyboard and put the contacts on the bottom of the keys of any typewriter. lol Chuck, I agree that'd be pretty cool. Print to the typewriter instead. Wonder what the max WPM would be (I know it'd depend on the type writer hence the qwerty layout to prevent arm jamming).

lol (watching the ipad move). I can't say much more than wtf. But it looks like they want to sell the modded typewriter I guess? Wonder how hard it would be to just tear apart a cheap keyboard and put the contacts on the bottom of the keys of any typewriter. lol Chuck, I agree that'd be pretty cool. Print to the typewriter instead. Wonder what the max WPM would be (I know it'd depend on the type writer hence the qwerty layout to prevent arm jamming).

Well, the IBM 1620 Model I (CADET) used an IBM Model B electric (modified) (not a Selectric) as the console typewriter. It was fairly slow--slower than 14 or so cps Selectric. Probably not much slower than an ASR-33 (10 cps). Watching it work, however, you thought it was going to fall apart when it returned the carriage.

There's always the Flexowriter...

Perhaps I shouldn't say anything, but I don't get it. I supposed if it looked cool in some way there'd be a point, but this just seems like a good way to wreck a perfectly good typewriter. He doesn't even take the time to integrate the screen stylistically and just sticks it on. I give him a fail for both effort and ingenuity. Now if he was using an electric as keyboard and printer, like people used to do, then it would at least make sense in a vintage kind of way.

I saw this last year and thought it would be neat - but then I remembered how awful it was typing on manual typewriters.

I'd much rather get something that turned a Selectric into a printer. I'd love to see that type ball flipping back and forth. It would make my printouts seem important.
(like those government teletypes seen in 60's and 70's movies)

You can see advertisements in old Byte magazines about devices converting Selectric typewriters into printers.

I think theSelectric to Printer kits only worked with the Selectrics designed as output typwriters. I used to have a non i/o selectric and couldn't see a way to make it print from a computer,

And if you really want to make a Selectric jump tab all the way to last column, and then backspace 120 times to the start...

And as this is input only not sure I am interested...

Dave

I think theSelectric to Printer kits only worked with the Selectrics designed as output typwriters. I used to have a non i/o selectric and couldn't see a way to make it print from a computer,

This 1981 ad says it works with any Selectric.

selectricinterface.jpg

There was also another ad (that I can't find at the moment) for a device that attaches over the Selectric keys and actually mechanically types what you want to print. (though who knows how reliably)

The Escon, AFAIK worked only as a printer. Back in the day, there were several who repaired Selectrics for a living who said the retrofits weren't a good idea, as the I/O Selectrics were more ruggedized for continuous use and using an office model would result in premature failure of the typewriter One used to be able to find 2741 I/O Selectrics on the surplus market occasionally. Of course, you had to use the "correspondence" tilt-and-shift code to run them.

I wonder if it's still possible to find an old IBM 3767 terminal...

My Wheelwriter 70 can serve as a printer on a PC, but I always wished it could be used like a teletype. I always wondered if I could mod the interface board to allow output as well, but never got around to trying.

In his video he used a REALLY old typewriter...those would be hard to find now. Even the selectrics are getting kind of rare. I've often been referred to as something of a ludite, but even I have to say this project sounds silly.

Thanks to all for responding !

Just because you can do it, should you do it ? Why ?

But it is neat and creative in a ????? sort of way.

It is a "printer" if you look at the video - you can stick a sheet of paper in the typewriter and get the typewritten version, besides the computer screen version.

Stay tuned !

I am sure some other "creative" types with a lot of time on their hands will come up with some other "creative" ideas with respect to coupling old and new technology with computing in some way.

Guess it is popular - site says they are backlogged for 3 - 4 weeksf or orders.

Ok, after you try it a few times, then what ? Goes on your shelf with many other similar "things" ???

Frank

I saw this last year and thought it would be neat - but then I remembered how awful it was typing on manual typewriters.

Exactly! It's just a novelty gimmick really. Sometime to smile about but I won't be ordering one any time soon. (-:

Tez

Well, if you want something a little more modern I have a nice Olivetti typewriter with an RS-232 Interface; normally only RO but wouldn't take much to make it a KSR...

Or just the interface boards if you prefer to use your own Olivetti...

Or the book "How to Interface your Selectric"...

Actually there were some really nice heavy duty bidirectional Selectrics used in early word processing systems like the Redactron magnetic card unit; scrapped mine, unfortunately, along with a couple of the smaller Selectric console terminals. Still have the mag card drives though ;-)

But it doesn't serve as a printer...

My thoughts exactly - that would have been a cool multifunction twist.

I wonder why there aren't ordinary keyboards that have built-in printers - both can be USB these days, after all, and it would have the same form factor.

If it had the printer capability it would also be able to act like a teletype (for modern machines)... :D

...I wonder why there aren't ordinary keyboards that have built-in printers - both can be USB these days, after all, and it would have the same form factor.
I'm not sure I'd have room for a keyboard in the form factor of my HP Laserjet, not to mention the awkwardness and the heat and weight when it's in my lap...

Back