• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

pet 2001 power wiring help

polishedball

Experienced Member
I just received a project pet 2001, my problem is the connector off the transformer has way more pin holes than there are pins on the board. See pictures, the way the wire is formed it seems like it would connect in a fashion similar to how I adjusted it behind the pins. Could someone shed some light on this for me? i found some schematic but none detailed the voltages that should feed that J8 connector. Thanks

2001a.JPG

2001b.JPG

Last edited:
Yes it is the chicklet version, just trying to figure out this power thing. It almost looks like a newer vintage transformer and connector was added to this, but if it was it was done along time ago. Really need to find out the input voltages for the board. Thanks for the links i had turned up one of them in my search.

Yes it is the chicklet version, just trying to figure out this power thing. It almost looks like a newer vintage transformer and connector was added to this, but if it was it was done along time ago. Really need to find out the input voltages for the board. Thanks for the links i had turned up one of them in my search.
I don't have time to download those huge pictures (couldn't you have scaled them down a bit?), but yeah, you obviously have a new type (2008N etc.)transformer and an old style board that only needs 5V. Just use the 5 wires brown/red/black/red/brown; doesn't matter which way.

The schematics are actually pretty clear...
The outside pair (brown) is ~8VAC
The centre (black) is common ground
Pins 2 & 4 (red) are 8VDC out to the cap and back to the board.

Yes, now that the pics have downloaded (10 minutes later) you've correctly line up the connector.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry about that. I was just looking for examples and other connectors like yours but as you probably saw I haven't seen one which is odd. I'm surprised I haven't found the pins yet, I searched a little around zimmers.net and I see a few documents uploaded on commodore128.org. You may sift through those in the mean time and see if they have the schematics of the power plug.

I don't have time to download those huge pictures (couldn't you have scaled them down a bit?), but yeah, you obviously have a new type (2008N etc.)transformer and an old style board that only needs 5V. Just use the 5 wires brown/red/black/red/brown; doesn't matter which way.

I found the schematics on zimmers maybe not the right page yet, it showed the input pins but didnt have a voltage assigned as it was the main board and not of just the PS circuit cap transformer like what i have for the 8032's, i'll keep looking. Sorry about the picture size will scale them from now on. I figured since the forum scales i'd be OK for display, I forget not everyone is on a 40mbit connection :p

Just use the 5 wires brown/red/black/red/brown; doesn't matter which way.

The outside pair (brown) is ~8VAC
The centre (black) is common ground
Pins 2 & 4 (red) are 8VDC out to the cap and back to the board.

Yes, now that the pics have downloaded (10 minutes later) you've correctly line up the connector.

Thanks very much it is all clear now, again sorry i will scale from now on, I appreciate your help.

Thank you, thats the one I have, but i didn't see the input voltages to measure and compare this transformers to it. I guess looking downstream could help, but after my last fiasco with a board I want to be 100%. thanks
Compare the schematics of the 2001 vs the 2001N/30xx/40xx etc. and you'll see that pins 1-5 and the AC & DC voltages are exactly the same and compatible with the old PET; the extra wires (black and blue) were added on the side to supply the 12V and -5V for the dynamic memory chips on the later models.

Back