• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Matrox m3D (PowerVR PCX2)

TheLazy1

Experienced Member
attachment.php

Thought I would let you guys have the first crack at it before trying ebay.
It's an odd little 3D accelerator so I'm assuming you'll know what to expect :)

Lots of fun with Quake and others on this back in the day, hopefully someone else can keep it going.
Looking for $30CAD, PM me with details for a shipping quote.

Comes with the card and CD from Matrox which oddly enough has SGL development libs/headers.
Last tested about 6 weeks ago, it was running Half-Life so I can say it works for me.

No where near as good as Voodoo2. I had one with the Matrox Mystique 220. If a game wasn't specifically written with a driver for it... well it was bad.

The card is pretty fast with games of its generation (on a fast CPU) because of the way it only does calculations on what is visible and because it uses some weird tile rendering method. You can do 1024x768 with the card while the Voodoo 2 is stuck at 800x600 unless you use two for SLI.

The M3d uses a Videologic chip (I think some of these and later refined chips were used in arcade machines, the Hercules Kyro I and II chips, and the Sega Dreamcast), the Matrox Mystique is a completely different chipset made by Matrox.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/real-thing,45-3.html <=== shows some benchmarks , look for videologic.

Don't forget this was a budget card and it can be used in any machine with a free PCI slot (does its work over the PCI bus) and behaves with other 3D cards.

The card is pretty fast with games of its generation (on a fast CPU) because of the way it only does calculations on what is visible and because it uses some weird tile rendering method. You can do 1024x768 with the card while the Voodoo 2 is stuck at 800x600 unless you use two for SLI.

The M3d uses a Videologic chip (I think some of these and later refined chips were used in arcade machines, the Hercules Kyro I and II chips, and the Sega Dreamcast), the Matrox Mystique is a completely different chipset made by Matrox.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/real-thing,45-3.html <=== shows some benchmarks , look for videologic.

Don't forget this was a budget card and it can be used in any machine with a free PCI slot (does its work over the PCI bus) and behaves with other 3D cards.

I had both together. The Mystique 220 with the m3D. Main reason I had the Mystique was the OS/2 support.

I'd make an offer but most likely cost too much for shipment to Chicago to be worth it. =(

Sad part is, im a huge Sega fan. Similar chipset as the Dreamcast and Naomi arcade systems (powerVR CLX2)... As well as early Iphones and Ipods! (powerVR MBX.)

Last edited:
Back