• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

it appears that stupidity isn't limited to just ebay....

Maverick1978

Veteran Member
Case in point.

For those that can't see this down the road because the link is dead, it's a shopgoodwill.com "New in box" Super Nintendo system with 2 games (Super Mario World/Super Mario All-Stars combo cartridge - the pack-in game). The product might be new, but Goodwill has no way to know that since it arrived to them in open and "like-new" appearance.

What's the bidding at, you might ask?

$1151.00 USD with a day left on the bidding.

Now this appears to be CIB and like-new, to include all packing materials, including the plastic baggies, twist-ties, manuals, and incidental paper materials... but it's not sealed and there's no guarantee it's new.

I thought bidding was crazy when it was at $175 last week. What are these bidders thinking!?

Last edited:
It's funny I was just thinking about that (well ok I probably am always thinking about that) but as folks have pointed out. The devices may not be rare but the number of systems that survived the opening process by the kid/young adult and further how many folks who kept the box changes that value quite drastically. Not that I agree, and yes that makes me want to run to a few local stores and snatch up some things but pretty insane deal there. I wonder if there was something further that spiked the value that much? (Software collectors often notice different/rarer published copies of games than the naked eye would understand).

I know much of my time spent on Hargle's swcollect list is googling the titles that many of them are going nuts over. ;-)

Well, it is a Nintendo system. From what I know, people who collect Nintendo stuff would sell their mother if they were short of cash to pay for the next addition to their collection. And I'm serious about it, N$ tends to go for a lot more money than any comparable system, no matter how relatively rare or common the item is.

that is insane! for a SNES??? thats one of the easiest older game consoles to find, practically everybody had one. i know new-in-box makes most things worth more, but.... that much?

Not sure how it took me this long to think about it but perhaps it was a typo? (151.00 not 1151) although I guess someone else would have to typo it also? That's one thing we don't hear too often is the end result of these news worthy auctions and if they actually got paid.

Does the auction function at Shop Goodwill work like a proxy auction (eBay, VCGM etc) so the bid you place is a maximum bid, or is it the bid you place? I.e. if the former bid was $100 and you put $1150, will the actual bid level raise to $105 or $1150 right away? If the latter, Barythrin's theory could hold water.

Then again Maverick wrote last week it was up to $175 so at that point it would be pointless to enter a $115 bid and accidentally add a zero too many. Even if the highest bidder mistook the site for using proxy bidding while it may not, entering a very high bid means you'd be willing to pay as much in the end.

I didn't know they were worth that much, brb going to make a fortune on ebay this week. ;)

I don't know about NRFB, but I see boxed SNESs on ebay all the time for under $100. Maybe there is something we're not seeing... or whoever is bidding hasn't been shopping around much.

Does the auction function at Shop Goodwill work like a proxy auction (eBay, VCGM etc) so the bid you place is a maximum bid, or is it the bid you place?

It works as a proxy bidding system similar to ebay.

Maybe there is something we're not seeing... or whoever is bidding hasn't been shopping around much.

I would suspect the latter...

I'm fortunate enough to have 3 used/new videogame shops within easy driving distance in 3 different directions. All are mom/pop stores that also sell on eBay. Boxed/complete SNES systems are common enough in even my relatively lightly-populated area to not garner more than $75-100 depending upon condition of the materials therein. While I certainly can't speak for all ebay auctions, of the boxed/complete ones I've seen, they rarely even hit $100 for a system-only with the pack-in game. I won an auction a year ago for the Donkey Kong Country system for $28 shipped, boxed/complete. Granted, that's below what the system alone normally goes for, but it's not completely uncommon to see them slip through like that.

There's nothing absolutely rare about this box/system/game that I've ever seen. Except for maybe the taped-on "Goodwill" label that will surely peel away some of the cardboard when removed.

i have found a snes in the garbage less than a year ago and all it needed was a power adapter which i had. it came with all the cables and controllers. it even had a mouse but no games but i happen to have a copy of Mario paint but no mouse so it worked out good. i ended up giving it to my nephew with a game. in my opinion i would never pay more than $50 for a game system. i don't own a wii, ps3 or xbox360 but one day when the price drops enough i might. i did just buy a sega master system for $20

Back