• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PCJr 4836 Monitor Issues

Lutiana

Administrator
Staff member
So I got myself 2 PCJr machines and one monitor for them. The monitor was on a box and looks absolutely mint, but it won't work.

When I plug it into the PCJr machines (either) all I get is a green wobbly line (I'll try to get a pic or movie later). There is also a buzzing coming from it. Using the composite video out works just fine on my PC, so I suspect the monitor to be at fault. So any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, for the PCJr keyboard to work do batteries need to be installed regardless of it it is wired or not?

Batteries should only need to be installed when you're using the infrared. So far as the monitor, in high school, we wired up PCjr monitors to 9-pin DINS for use as CGA monitors on our 5150's. You should be able to shove some thicker-gauge wire into the Berg connector wired up to a 9-pin DIN for CGA where you could try it out. Might be an easy check prior to tearing into the electronics of the monitor.

Problem solved!!!

Turns out the little dividers between the connections were broken and I was actually plugging the monitor cable in upside down. I flipped it and and book it works 100%

Both systems are working fine now. Some issues some of the side carts I have, but thats for another topic.

Do be careful with those connector pins on the motherboard. They are very hard to replace.

They are keyed so that you should not be able to plug things in upside down. If you feel resistance when you are plugging something in, stop, take a deep breath, back the connector out, look at what is going on, and then try again.

Do be careful with those connector pins on the motherboard. They are very hard to replace.

That was the first thing I thought when I looked back there and started plugging things in. The plastic dividers between the pins have broken and that was why I was able to plug it in upside down. I grabbed sharpy and wrote "Top" on the connector so I don't do that again.

Back