• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FREE: Vintage computers

4016 indicates 16k RAM, from my research (though I couldn't find what the 'N' in the model of "4016-N" stood for).

I know that some of the PETs could have memory upgraded by simply swapping out memory chips, but that hte 4016/4032 put a stop to this (according to Wikipedia). Anyone care to chime in on that - can the memory on this particular unit be upgraded by swapping in new chips?

As for the last photo, I believe it's stock - his auction listing specifically states that it's not been tested.

Yeah, the last picture is a stock image. I think I need to delete it to belay any confusion. the unit is missing a fuse, so it does not even power up. The inside looks pretty clean though and none of the key stick and all feel pretty consistent, but that is about as much info as I can give on it.

If it makes you guys feel any better the only PET on ebay right now also does not work, but the guy wants $170 + $40 shipping for it, so mine at $80 is a relative steel.

I might consider a trade for some sort of IBM system but I can't think of anything specific that I want/need right now.

Last edited:
Okay. I reaaly want to get rid of this thing so I cut the auction down to 1 week, there are 5 days left.

With zero bids and zero people watching I am very reluctant to grab more if I get the chance.

I definitely wish I could get it but times have been very very tight for me. Who knows, things might cut me a break in the next few days, I've always wanted a PET.

4 Days to go on this thing.

This thing looks pretty simple internally, so I'd bet that it would be easy to fix.

4016 indicates 16k RAM, from my research (though I couldn't find what the 'N' in the model of "4016-N" stood for).
The -N denotes a 'Graphic keyboard', usual for a 40xx model, as opposed to the -B 'Business keyboard' more commonly found on the 8032.
I know that some of the PETs could have memory upgraded by simply swapping out memory chips, but that hte 4016/4032 put a stop to this (according to Wikipedia). Anyone care to chime in on that - can the memory on this particular unit be upgraded by swapping in new chips?
Hard to say without a closeup of the empty memory sockets; for a while Commodore drilled holes through the board to discourage people from buying the cheaper 4016 and upgrading to a 4032. If the holes are there, you'd have to either piggy-back the second bank on top of the first one, or repair the board; if no holes then it's just a matter of adding the 8 chips (and sockets) and moving a couple of jumpers.

Hard to say without a closeup of the empty memory sockets; for a while Commodore drilled holes through the board to discourage people from buying the cheaper 4016 and upgrading to a 4032. If the holes are there, you'd have to either piggy-back the second bank on top of the first one, or repair the board; if no holes then it's just a matter of adding the 8 chips (and sockets) and moving a couple of jumpers.

The memory sockets are down the left hand side?

On the left there are places for chips. I don't see any drilled holes, just solder pads. There are 8 of them. Here is a picture:
IMG_0353.JPG

Also here is a close up of the keyboard after I wiped it down:
IMG_0355.JPG

Motherboard schematics and other info here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/pet/8032/index.html

Last edited:
Yeah, no holes so bringing it up to a full 32K is only a matter of sucking out the solder, installing the chips (and sockets!) and changing the jumpers. As a matter of fact I don't believe they did the hole-drilling nonsense any longer anyway with this model (AKA the FAT40, to distinguish it from the earlier model which was also sometimes called a 40xx (but with a smaller screen) in some of which they *did* drill the holes). FWIW this model can probably also be upgraded to 80 columns instead of 40, although it'll have the wrong keyboard and some 40-column games etc. won't look quite right even with the 80>40 emulation driver.

BTW, The "Business" keyboard looks more like a regular typewriter/computer keyboard with shifted punctuation above the number keys, etc.

Last edited:
I was able to attend the event, I drove up from San Jose (about an hour's drive.) I was 14th on the RSVP but I don't think half the people even showed up.

There were only 3 IIgss and I was certain they'd all get picked up. Fortunately only two people ahead of me snagged a IIgs, and I was able to get the last one.

I was pretty excited because it looked like it had a SCSI card in it, but it turned out it was just a SASI card. There was a Sider drive that I peaked, but I didn't get it because I knew it wouldn't work with anything... except the IIgs I JUST grabbed. I'm kicking myself. :(

The best item I managed to get was a Wildcard 2 copy protection buster card mint in box. Looked brand new. I also got a nifty screen capture card for Apple II, you press a button on the card and prints whatever's on the screen. :)

I also got two science lab kits that I had used when I was in high school. One is "Sound" and the other is "Motion." They're really cool. The sound one came with a transparent microphone, and the motion came with a motion detector.

I also got a mint condition Reseller's version of ][ in a Mac, the first Apple II emulation software for Macintosh. I'm really stoked about that. I also got a large box of blue 800k floppies which will be handy with the IIgs.

I was able to grab a boxed Koala pad, but apparently it's the Commodore version.

Everyone was limited to only 1 system that you could carry. After the guy running the event went through the list (but before I got back from dropping my computer off in my pickup) he let everyone in and it was a smash n' grab. All the PETs and Jrs were gone. I think there was even an unopened PC Jr color monitor.

Some lucky SOB got 2 unopened Commodore 64s.

If I didn't already have an engagement in the area, I wouldn't 've been able to go. But because I had an appointment, I could stay for about 30 minutes. I would've spent another 3 hours there picking through every last bit. There was a TON of stuff there. What's disheartening is that everything that was left is already in the landfill. :(

All the PETs and Jrs were gone. I think there was even an unopened PC Jr color monitor.

I snagged 2 PCjrs and that monitor. It was not new, but is in absolute mint condition, so very near new. There were some PCjr stuff I wish I had grabbed, so I am also kicking myself on that.

Thats too cool... You guys didn't happen to snap any pix of the entire lot did you? That in and of itself would be cool to see.

Sheesh.. this guy still has 130 PETs in various states? Wow, that even outnumbers the place I used to visit. By the way, there never was any "8080" floppy drive, that probably should be 8050.

That's awesome that they're trying to get the equipment homes though. Wish shipping wasn't so much, may make great parts machines if push came to shove.

lol how far is it from you Nathan? I think you could actually road trip it with a friend :) I thought it's like a 24 hour drive from me, 10 hours would be from here to where you are isn't it? So you're like 13 hours away?

Isn't it insane though the perception of the price in shipping (a free Pet would cost $50-$60) yet it would still cost me $60 to get a free computer that's 150 miles from here (300 mile round trip = 1 fill up at the gas station for me). Not sure where the math ends up for a road trip and what would be needed at the end.

Almost forgot to ask, who ended up with the Pet from lutiana? Lutiana, did you have more you were going to sell as well? I'd be interested in some of the Pet software if they have some and anyone has spares (though I don't know what to expect if they're a package or just loose, I'd be more interested in something looking like a software package). Wonder how many 2001's he has (probably the replacement keyboard kind though). Those are easy sells. Ok better stop before I justify something I shouldn't.

Last edited:
What I find odd is that somebody didn't offer the guy $1000 or so for the 130 pets that were left to clean them up and sell them on ebay. I am sure there are ebay sellers in the bunch that are looking to flip those machines, plus the usual collectors and general hoarders out there.

What I find odd is that somebody didn't offer the guy $1000 or so for the 130 pets that were left to clean them up and sell them on ebay. I am sure there are ebay sellers in the bunch that are looking to flip those machines, plus the usual collectors and general hoarders out there.

Sure. Life is weird that way.

I had almost thought about it other than no practical way to suddenly store 150 systems but that was before I knew what stock. But again it was more just the thought of "maybe an offer instead of recycling" which often comes up in my head without the means to implement that plan. Still I think it's cool and nice he's doing at least this with the understanding that it's hard to get equipment out there even with collectors and other help.

Of course maybe even the "recycler" could be Sellam or another collector who does recycling. He did post the offering as well on the VCGM which is cool. Dunno if he signed up for the forums yet or if he's still personally into the vintage computing scene.

Or the space is needed to sell the building ASAP which is worth much more then the contents. The guy must be a collector since the way they set up the 1 computer per person based on reservation is very fair.

I have no idea what I would do if something like this happened locally. I have too much equipment as it is but the bug to get more (different stuff) is allways there.

Back