• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

XT-compat. keyboard + Gateway Handbook 486:

manimal347

Well, I've done it. Bought an XT clone. Couldn't resist at $28 shipped with a working MFM disk subsystem, suggestion that it can read 1.44 floppies, plus VGA graphics. Yeah. Too cheap. I know. But, now I need a keyboard. Cheapies with the XT flippy switches used to be everywhere. Not so much anymore. So, does anyone have a fairly cheap XT-compatible keyboard? Something from the eighties would be nice - real nice - though I sure don't expect IBM. Any generic or clone-branded one (eg, leading edge, vendex, pc's unlimited) should work.

Also, I have my heart set on a Gateway Handbook 486. Since I want to use it as a cafe netbook to compliment my Libretto, it would need to be fairly high-spec. DX-33 or 50, and a full 20MB of RAM. I can only flex on the RAM if the handbook is one of the rare puppies of the era that takes a standard module. I googled and googled, but naturally, people hint at things but never explicitly say. Rather not run the risk and get stuck at 4MB! Price? I don't know what these are worth. In a world where Adlibs fetch 100+ and riced XT clones can cost as little as dinner at Denny's, I don't know. If, on the off-chance, you have one, shoot me a price. And yes, I know it should and will cost more than the XT. That had better have been a fluke.

Take a look at the AT-XT converter project--very small, inexpensive self-powered unit that takes any PS/2 style keyboard and converts it to XT use.

No, that's a great idea Chuck. I saw that project and had to marvel. Same with the XT->IDE storage project. But I guess I'm just not keen on personally using them. Not at this point.

On another note, I just realized I don't even have an AT-din keyboard - period. I only have old laptops now, and before I moved, branded clones with PS/2 inputs. So, one with a switch it is. That way, if I come into a 286-Pentium whitebox, I'll have a keyboard.

Let me dig tonight I MIGHT have a "keytronic" brand with a switch on it, I know for a fact its AT, but I wanted to say it also had the XT switch, ill check and get back to you.

Let me dig tonight I MIGHT have a "keytronic" brand with a switch on it, I know for a fact its AT, but I wanted to say it also had the XT switch, ill check and get back to you.

I looked and I apologize, I was wrong, it doesnt have the XT switch, but its about the right era, it had molding marks on the case where it could have had the switch, but it was left out on this model.

Well, I managed to find an XT/AT flip-switch keyboard. No luck with the Handbook 486 though, nor lesser temptations such at the Compaq Aero.

Just a heads up (there's another thread here which describes all the keys properly) but the Handbook 486's have a common failed component with the keyboard which I never had the time to track down. It commonly has the following failed keys "SPACEBAR, ESC, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, DEL, DOWN ARROW, LEFT ARROW." (I think the user JPOESQ was the one who pointed that out here). He purchased 3 or 4 from ebay (different folks, different auctions) and 3 out of 4 had the exact same keys not working.

Absolutely fun little system though, just if you get to ask the seller, make sure those keys work and that it was the battery (since the power supply plugs into the battery, even if the battery isn't working if it's missing you'd have to figure out what pins the battery uses and splice the wires in which is a pain).

Well, I just recieved the keyboard. It does *NOT* have a mode selector. I looked over the auction again, and it seems the seller may have been confused and thought the large-din plug works on both ATs and XTs even without conversion. Blech. So, I'm still looking for some sort of keyboard that sends the correct scancodes.

Well, I just recieved the keyboard. It does *NOT* have a mode selector. I looked over the auction again, and it seems the seller may have been confused and thought the large-din plug works on both ATs and XTs even without conversion.

I have a large DIN plug KB with an AT/XT switch. I don't have a functioning AT anymore so I can't test it, but if you're still looking I'll send you pictures.

Back