• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connect a standar 1.44 floppy drive in my ibm model 30 (8086)

jesuisdvd

The floppy drive of my model 30 (8086) has die apparently, y try with my other ibm floppys (1,44, ps/1 2121, and model 35, and 720kb model 25) and none of them works, so i want to know hoy can i put a normal floppy drive in my model 30:(

The floppy drive of my model 30 (8086) has die apparently, y try with my other ibm floppys (1,44, ps/1 2121, and model 35, and 720kb model 25) and none of them works, so i want to know hoy can i put a normal floppy drive in my model 30:(

That is not possible. You can read more about this here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?24900-So-I-got-a-PS-2-Model-25 and here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?25201-IBM-PS-2-Model-30-(8530-002).

To expand on that - it SHOULD be possible (would involve making a custom cable to get the power lines out of the data ribbon and over to the power connector), but no official determination has been made, and my tests didn't yield anything good so far (still something I want to revisit).

To expand on that - it SHOULD be possible (would involve making a custom cable to get the power lines out of the data ribbon and over to the power connector), but no official determination has been made, and my tests didn't yield anything good so far (still something I want to revisit).

If you make it to work you can sell those since there is a niche market for them. :D

It can be done! See attached picture, you need to seperate the power lines out of the ribbon cable as Kishy said above. What you do is seperate lines 1,3 and 6. Pin 1 will be ground the Black wire, Pin 3 will be the Red the + 5 volt wire and Pin 6 will be the +12 volt wire but may not be needed. Not to hard to do and also make sure there is no twist in the cable you use. Must be straight through. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• ps2-flpy2.jpg
    ps2-flpy2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here's the whole cable. Sorry Pic is a little dark. But just the standard end no changes to it. :p The other thing is cosmetics you want to find a drive that has the eject button in about the same location as the hole in the bezel! But you may still have to do some trimming. I used this cable in my PS/2 model P70. :D

Attachments

• ps2-flpy.jpg
    ps2-flpy.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 7
Another option would be to tap the pins on the PCB at the floppy connector. You'd still have to cut the power lines on the cable to avoid frying the drive.

That wouldn't really work njroadfan. Taping is not an option as soon as you put the cable on it would make contact anyway. You would still need to get power from the floppy cable so it's kind of a waste of time.

Pete, let me see what I can do. The hard part is getting the 3.5" power cables. I don't have any extra's so I would have to go out and get some. But Gramps ;) Will take care of it :p I'll keep ya posted by PM!

Frank.... 3.5" power cables are easy. I dumpster dive in the local dump's electronics bin, remember? :) How many do you think you'll need? I usually don't bother with the ATX power supplies since they're normally always junkers that came for free w/ the cases. I cut wires off of them all the time :) (monitor cables too, for that matter - makes wiring up that Atari ST monitor cable easier when I don't have to purchase a 15-pin connector!)

Wow...is it really that easy? I thought I had tried that...been a while now though. I eventually settled on a cable to use the newer-style PS/2 drives.

I have the parts to make these things so after I confirm I can successfully recreate it, I can offer a cable-building service.

I too snip the wires off of old PSUs...useful to have.

But the model 30 uses a 40 pin header, and the cable you have there looks like the standard 34pin cable. Are you sure it would work on the Model 30?

Pete, let me see what I can do. The hard part is getting the 3.5" power cables. I don't have any extra's so I would have to go out and get some. But Gramps ;) Will take care of it :p I'll keep ya posted by PM!

Thanks Gpa Frank! :D

Lutiana the model 30-286 and P70 and others use a 34 pin connector. I know because I had a model 30-286 and still have a P70. The Model 50, 70 , 60 and 80 use a 40 pin card edge. But actually you may be right I think the earlier model 30's did have a 40 pin connector. If so then I stand corrected. I don't have a Model 30 to check against. Need someone to verify. But I did notice on my 30-286 the board connector was a 40 pin connector but a 34 pin was connected to it. Confusing :confused:
Lutiana please look at the cable on your Model 30 and verify 34 or 40 pin.

Mav and Kishy I dont have any spare power supplies to hack off connectors from. Mav maybe get me about 5 of them.

Model 30 286 has a 40 pin header, as does the 56 and the 25.

As I understand it, pins 1-34 are the same as a normal FDC connector, except for the addition of power on otherwise unused pins.

Look how I did the cable for my Model 25 to use the newer style drive:

8525_0028_homemade-fdd-cable_for-sony-2.88.jpg

Please note the Model 25 is an 'exception' in a couple ways...like the fact that pin 3 is not +5v, but instead, only pin 38 is. I expect pin 38 is 5V on all of them, and then the newer ones which did not ship with the 40 pin edge connector drives will also have voltage in the main block of 34 pins, as described somewhere above.

Just to add that IBM PS/1 Models 2011 and 2121 also use 34 pin floppy drives with power included in the ribbon cable, and the same Hard Disk interface that PS/2 Model 30-286.

Back