• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

need a P75 (and a fan/heatsink too)

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
Hello gang o' mine,
Someone donated me an IBM P75 computer. Nice looking box too. Of course the criminal pulls all the cpu's out of his gear b4 dumping it on his porch, where I scarfed it. I'm not going to bother asking him for it. Can anyone donate me 1 cheapish like??? You're the best!

...Someone donated me an IBM P75 computer...

Socket 5 clone with a 75MHz Pentium? Because an IBM [PS/2] P75 (as in "Portable" Model 75) is something else entirely (and has a 486DX-33 CPU). Just wanting to avoid any confusion.

Socket 5 should go up to 166 non mmx pentium... Is this an aptiva btw?

I recommend at least a 100mhz p1 just to steer clear of the FPU bug. :thumbsup:
And if you feel like your ibm collector gene is kicking in, nab a ibm branded cyrix 6x86 pr166 LoL

If you looking for near free, I have to look around but I believe I have a p90 cpu not sure where you live though...

Last edited:
Yes, only the 60 and 66 MHz first-generation Pentiums had the bug. They used a different, physically incompatible socket (Socket 4, if memory serves.)

A P90 or P100 will give better performance since they have a faster bus (60 and 66 MHz, respectively), if the motherboard has jumpers to select those speeds. If not, they'll run fine at 75 MHz if you have trouble locating a P75 for some reason.

I used to have a ton of P75s, but I think I got rid of all of them. :(

Yes, only the 60 and 66 MHz first-generation Pentiums had the bug. They used a different, physically incompatible socket (Socket 4, if memory serves.)...

There were initial 75 and 90MHz Socket 5 Pentiums that had the FDIV bug as well...

As did I! I ordered the new Dell XPS p90 (back then dell was badass! They actually came to you for repairs! Now if only they still did that . I sold IBM/APPLE/Compaq/Packard Smells at Best Buy, and seen first hand how crappy all but the apples were made.)

System arrived with the flawed first-gen p90 chip. First day, corel would lock up, autocad R10 would go haywire like static on the screen. Right away I call dell, yadda yadda and ended up with a new motherboard. Then another. Then the memory. Then motherboard again, psu, hdd... was neverendless. Took over a year of replacing parts to finally get a stable system! Imgaine my situation, just tossed 3k on a new computer, and not even 18. It was ALOT of money for me. I worked all summer for it! :(

Around visit #9-10, they agree everything was replaced, except the cpu, but they couldnt warranty that out easily because of Intel being picky on who got new ones. At that time I was barely 17, so keep this in mind. I did publishing on the side, and worked at best buy in the computer dept part time also. It ate alot of my spare time, when I should have been out chasing girls... grr.. anyways... LOL.

I remember the hoops I had to go through to get the cpu replaced too. That was my last Dell I ever purchased. This p90 was #3. I spent most my money as a teen on computers. Having to prove that I needed the replacement, was a huge pain in the rear. I had to fax over pay-stubs / job references for being a desktop publisher believe it or not! I used alot of autocad/corel/ventura back then... The time I hit the bug most often was in coreldraw. Whenever I used the font needed for the company I did publishing for, AAA, and resized it to 24pt or bigger. BAM. instant lock and loss of data. Somehow it hit the bug using the font. This was unacceptable because I HAD to use this font on their flyers/catalogs...

Well end of story, cpu was the fix that I needed. All was happy in the world for years... till the psu died LOL.

Nowdays I still have that pc, and the 21" ultrascan I got with it... Still use the monitor on my vintage systems too. Sadly the XPS P90's motherboard died a horrible death, maybe one day i'll try to repair it. All I can say is I hate dell and their proprietary power connectors! Guess thats a different story though. LoL.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. For some reason I thought the bug was discovered and eradicated before the P75/90 days.

But twolazy, your story definitely explains something. I sold computers at Best Buy during my summer and breaks in 1994, and one day it was slow, and a few of us were talking with the only customer in the computer section. I can't remember who brought it up, but someone said he avoided Pentiums, that he'd rather have a fast 486 because he had too many experiences with Pentiums locking up when running high-end software. It sounds like he'd run into exactly the same stuff you did.

Back