• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What to do with several vintage PCs

Gotama

Hi,

I have to make some room in my garage and get rid of old vintage PCs. Any suggestions on what to do with them?

Here is a short list of the machines available:
- IBM PS/2 50Z
- IBM Ps/2 70
- CPQ Deskpro 286
- HP unknown model dated year 1989
- DECpc LPv 433sx
- HP Vectra ES

I live in Finland, so shipping them separately could cost quite much. Machines are all in good condition and working. Is there market for spare parts for that kind of machines? All ideas are welcome.

The ps/2's might fetch you more in parts, if they contain manuals and any decent MCA bus cards. Its a hard call on early IBMs after the AT. Prices tend to fluctuate alot. I'd sell both as a set. Make sure to retrobrite them as well as the Compaq.

· As for the Compaq, thats a very nice jewel there, if you clean it up like new and had all documentation, easy 200+ USD. Shame that isnt a deskpro 386. Mucho more $$ right now.
· The HP isnt worth too much, mostly likely more if you part it out.
· The Dec on the other hand is somewhat rare. I'd say that should get you 50-100USD. And the Vectra eh, I never see HP's usually go for much. Worth more in parts tbh.

Presumably there are plenty of vintage computer collectors in Finland as well. While parting out might end you with more money in the long run, it will be a lengthier process than getting rid of the computers as a whole for a lower amount or even for free, if you are more concerned about space in the garage than pocket money. I know there are some Finns on this forum, they can probably help you find potential markets and buyers so you don't have to worry about distant shipping costs, which anyway would be paid by the buyer.

As for Retr0brite or any other process of chemical cleaning, it requires some setup and chemicals. Besides if your machines are badly yellowed and you decide to freshen them up besides regular soap and water, you should mention it to your potential buyers that your computers are "refurbished", not maintained in the current physical looking condition.

AAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH thanks Chuck! Now I have to clean orange soda off my monitor... lol :sigh:

Keep them! Use them to threaten punishment for your children. "If you are bad, you have to use this computer instead of the modern one."

Thanks for fast answers.

What would be the best forum or site to sell the CPUs as set?
If there are some Finns reading this forum, please contact me. Any help would be great.

Back