• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to Start hardware of 8085up......??

Hi Ritesh!

I am merely curious, but is this 8085 system you are building part of a final year project towards your Bachelor of Technology studies?

No, i want to do this for learning in deep....
b'coz in final year i want to make Big LED(RGB) tv....!!

No, i want to do this for learning in deep....
b'coz in final year i want to make Big LED(RGB) tv....!!

I see. While technically feasible, using an 8085 to update/refresh (through some non-trivial driver circuitry) a very large array (many thousands?) of LED's will make for one really poor TV i.e. up to ~30 seconds per frame update, as opposed to 25 frames per second minimum for a real TV. You would need alot more 'video bandwidth' than an 8085 can directly provide..

Probably a more practical application for an 8085-based system would be something like a 50 x 8 LED 'moving message' display, IMHO.

Regards Valentin
PS: This thread, while interesting, isn't specifically about 'IBM-PCs and compatibles'? I vote that it be moved to a more appropriate section of the VC forum (though I suppose the same could even be said of my own project thread, heh..:D).

Last edited:
Hi again,

I am not getting 2864/2764 in my local market ..only 8085 & 6462 ram....
what to do??

They should be available through most mail order or online parts suppliers. If nothing else, eBay usually has large quantities of 2864/2764 available cheaply.

No, i will try to use PIC's in that...

Even a PIC is serialized. You have about 80ns a pixel at SD res. And about 13.5ns a pixel at HD res. It's hard to find a MCU solution that can get a whole lot done in that time w/ zero jitter. You could certainly put a lot of MCU's in parallel, but usually digital video processing circuits use much simpler linear parallel logic either in a ASIC or PLD controlled by a CPU. Though I've seen an increasing number of ARM A3s lately with Bt.656 video input and output; mostly from Epson and NXP. Some with scaling and mixing. That would sure help a small design. But the technology difference between that and an 8085 is about 30 years! As basman mentioned, an LED message board is a more reasonable target for your next step.

Even a PIC is serialized. You have about 80ns a pixel at SD res. And about 13.5ns a pixel at HD res. It's hard to find a MCU solution that can get a whole lot done in that time w/ zero jitter. You could certainly put a lot of MCU's in parallel, but usually digital video processing circuits use much simpler linear parallel logic either in a ASIC or PLD controlled by a CPU. Though I've seen an increasing number of ARM A3s lately with Bt.656 video input and output; mostly from Epson and NXP. Some with scaling and mixing. That would sure help a small design.

Hi,
You have very good and deep knowlege about this...!!

But the technology difference between that and an 8085 is about 30 years! As basman mentioned, an LED message board is a more reasonable target for your next step.

Yeah, i know but i am doing this for basic deep knowlege clering all doubt..!!

They should be available through most mail order or online parts suppliers. If nothing else, eBay usually has large quantities of 2864/2764 available cheaply.

Hi again,

Please tell the link & any other option using ROM b'coz i am new to buy online.....

Any other chip that will do this work?? with other code than 28/27xx??

Any other chip that will do this work?? with other code than 28/27xx??

Any kind of parallel ROM chip will work, given it uses 8 data lines, address lines, and controll signals. The 27/28xx series just turns out to be the most common programmable/ereasable ROMS.

OK, i want to make time delay program, let say for 1sec for watch in this we will have loop this can i do but how to have exact 1sec delay???
i am Oshon soft Stimulator......

You didn't give us much to go on.

If you have a timer circuit (e.g. an 8253) as part of your setup, the answer is easy--simply program a counter in the timer to interrupt after a specific number of counts. It's very precise and requires almost no CPU time.

Otherwise, you set up a CPU loop to count. The exact value of the count that you start with may have to be determined experimentally, but a very close estimate can be gotten simply by timing each instruction in the loop and computing how many iterations would be required. The 8085 is a very simple processor which should lead to fairly accurate estimates.

Thanks i got your answer my teacher was saying that in controlling like time in case of trafic light we use Z-80/68000 motorolla up because they have very acc. to timming and stable than 8085 up....

I don't believe that a Z80 is any more accurate regarding timing than an 8085--at least I can't see any inherent reason. I'd be interested to hear his reasoning--and be given a chance to rebut it if I think it's faulty. It could simply be that he's not familiar with the 8085. Does he think that an NSC800 would be more accurate than an 8085, for example?

To my knowledge, both the Z80 and 8085 uses a fixed time to fetch and execute each instruction. The timing-uncertainty of independent fetching/execution units were not introduced before the 8086. I have not done any in-depth research on this, so I may well be incorrect.

Well, not in the x86 line anyway. Functional units, pipelining and instruction caches go back to the 1960s. Still, if you understood the CPU, it was possible to time things quite accurately. I spent many happy hours hand-timing CDC 6600 code.

After all, a CPU is deterministic. You just have to know the rules.

Waiting for reply..........

I am wondering why you're so keen to know the answer to this? Is your school assignment question (generating 1-second delay using 8085 CPU) due to be handed in soon?

Do you have access to a copy of Intel's MCS-85 user's manual? If so, I would suggest reading through all of it (which you will have to do anyway if you're building an 'LED TV') and then kindly tell us how you would write that 1-second delay routine..

Last edited:
Back