• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Original MITS Altair 8800 and Commodore MaxMachine for sale

Altair went for : EUR 2,266.00 (Approximately US $3,241.74) btw
The Commodore Max went for EUR 333.00 (Approximately US $476.39)

So did anyone else ponder about the serial number on the back of the Altair case? I was curious but didn't want to hurt the auction by asking too much (Rudi's collection precedes him.. I know he has a huge collection and don't doubt his credibility) but did kit Altairs not have serials on the case? I know about the logo being optional. If it wasn't his I would have questioned the legitimacy so just curious and probably some others are too.

Altair went for : EUR 2,266.00 (Approximately US $3,241.74) btw
The Commodore Max went for EUR 333.00 (Approximately US $476.39)

So did anyone else ponder about the serial number on the back of the Altair case? I was curious but didn't want to hurt the auction by asking too much (Rudi's collection precedes him.. I know he has a huge collection and don't doubt his credibility) but did kit Altairs not have serials on the case? I know about the logo being optional. If it wasn't his I would have questioned the legitimacy so just curious and probably some others are too.

well, this Altair did not have the serial on the back. I have another Altair that does not have the serial and also not the silver Altair logo on the front. My thinking is that the serial sticker has never been attached to the altair (many of them were hand-built by the owners) or it fell off during the time.
This Altair was 100% original as I could compare to my other Altair's and it used the same case, power supply aso. The price would have gone higher with the silver metal logo on the front and the serial sticker - you are right.

Back