• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Win 3.11 drivers for ATI pci Rage XL or RAGE 128 VR VGA cards?

Rickajho

Title pretty much says it all. Are Win 3.11/WFWG drivers available for either of these PCI cards?

The RAGE XL is an 8MB card and the RAGE 128 VR is 32MB. I have heard rumors that drivers were available for one or the other or both... Needless to say there is nothing on the ATI site any longer. Any direct links out there on the net to ATI web pages referencing Win 3.1 anything are defunct.

Anyone got 'em? Please? :( Want more than 256 color mode out of these cards.

Its very likely they never received support. The Rage II+DVD chip found on my original All-in-Wonder card officially used Mach64 drivers under Windows 3.1, perhaps those will work. Give the file called w31-3098.exe here a try with your cards, it may work: http://www.gaby.de/win3x/edrivers.htm

OK appears that the 128 never received Windows 3.1x support. The Rage Pro/XL did, but ATI never posted the driver on their site, they simply said to use the driver on the provided CD with the card.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Driverguide? There appear to be several good candidates there.

Yes... and no. Driverguide can be so screwed up, depending on the reliability of the person doing the upload. I found a posting for one of the cards that was supposedly for everything from Win 3.1 to Windows 7. Inside was the Windows 2000 only version of the driver.

That's 5.8 MB of my throughput I'll never get back...

Believe me, I looked, I didn't find anything there.

Its very likely they never received support. The Rage II+DVD chip found on my original All-in-Wonder card officially used Mach64 drivers under Windows 3.1, perhaps those will work. Give the file called w31-3098.exe here a try with your cards, it may work: http://www.gaby.de/win3x/edrivers.htm

OK appears that the 128 never received Windows 3.1x support. The Rage Pro/XL did, but ATI never posted the driver on their site, they simply said to use the driver on the provided CD with the card.

Yeah, I saw that at Gaby's site, listed as the driver for a couple of the Rage 128 models. I downloaded and unzipped it and everything inside references the Mach 64 only. Is it possible the Mach 64 and the Rage cards could use the same Win 3.1 driver?

Yeah, I saw that at Gaby's site, listed as the driver for a couple of the Rage 128 models. I downloaded and unzipped it and everything inside references the Mach 64 only. Is it possible the Mach 64 and the Rage cards could use the same Win 3.1 driver?

That very driver worked fine with my 3D Rage II+DVD based All-in-Wonder. Give it a shot, it might work with the Pro/XL, don't know about the 128 though.

Back