• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Adding sound events in win 3.1?

salamontagne

Experienced Member
I used to have some pretty good sounds for when i minimized and maximized windows
in windows 3.1

I know it involved editing the [sound] section of win.ini, and i tried adding the following:

SystemMinimize=ding.wav,SystemMinimize
SystemMaximize=tada.wav,SystemMaximize

But it dosent seem to work. All other system sounds work just fine, so i know its not a
sound issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll ask both of us this, but does it matter where you put those two lines of text in the sound section? Haven't looked through a Win 3.1 WIN.INI file, but try pointing it directly to the sound file, like instead of typing just, "Tada.wav," type, "C:\Windows\Media\Tada.wav."

Do you see the sound entries in the file already? Whatever format they have is probably the correct one. Another lamer way to do it would be replace the wav files with the wav you want it to be.. hence now if it calls tada.wav your tada.wav would instead say "All are base is belong to us!" or whatever. Not the right way to do it but it'd probably work ;-)

Just back up your original files for whatever reason. Afterwards depending on your age you can start hex editing the progman.exe and replacing words you don't like with same length words to amuse your highschool friends. ..not that we did that sort of thing or anything back then..

Vetusware (it's broken) has it. Just wait and wait and wait until they fix the download feature.

i hate vetusware. they have so much excellent old software but you can download ONE per day? and lately, it doesn't work AT ALL!!! it's a joke. they have a lot of stuff you can't get anywhere else, but the site code is garbage. it's like it was written while the guy was drinking.

download hasn't worked at all for at least a week now.

Back