• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello! PC XT and PCjr Owner Here

Cevyn

Experienced Member
Hi everyone! I still have my original XT and my PCJr - the same ones I used as a child. They both still work completely! I wish I had more space to keep them set up all the time.

My 8088

My PCJr

EDIT: checkit benchmarks coming soon for the XT :)

Cheers!!

Last edited:
I also have a Packard Bell 486@33mhz (Got it for Christmas in 1993) and an IBM PS/1 486@25, but with an overdrive evergreen chip installed to make it a 100mhz.'

What's the model number for the Packard Bell, do you have any pictures of it? These machines were (for the most part) great. Some models failed early due to previously used parts being put into these machines.

What's the model number for the Packard Bell, do you have any pictures of it? These machines were (for the most part) great. Some models failed early due to previously used parts being put into these machines.

When I was growing up, Packard Bell was known as 'Packard Hell' ... most of these machines were not 'great', and in fact were considered to be at the lowest level of mass marketed machines.

When I was growing up, Packard Bell was known as 'Packard Hell' ... most of these machines were not 'great', and in fact were considered to be at the lowest level of mass marketed machines.
That and the, "IBM Deathstar" line of hard drives. PCWorld rated Packard Bell one of if not the lowest ranked PC manufacturer out there for worst products. I have two of them. One has failed and the other looks like it just came off the assembly line. The failed one, which is older, has used parts from other manufacturers in it, but one part is from PB, the power supply. Guess which part failed out of all of them, THE POWER SUPPLY. Ironic, isn't it. :)

DOS lives on!! said:
That and the, "IBM Deathstar" line of hard drives. PCWorld rated Packard Bell one of if not the lowest ranked PC manufacturer out there for worst products. <snip>

You are confusing me - these were either great machines or not?

You are confusing me - these were either great machines or not?
I was referring to different people's point of view. Some people have PB PC's that still work right and do everything they were intended to do. The majority of people have had bad luck with these because of failing components. It all depends who you talk to and if their Packard Bell is still working. Personally, I think Packard Bell is horrible and was a relief to everyone to leave the PC market, at least in the US.

My Packard Bell is one of these I'll get some pics of mine when I dig it out of the closet after I resolve my XT problem. It's a 486SX @ 33mhz, and came stock with 4mb of ram onboard. It has one of those VESA local bus onboard video systems (which sucked), and 2x CDROM connected via the sound card (which I love the old PB soundblaster clones - they worked with games my SB16 even won't) and was an otherwise decent machine for its time. I had it upgraded with a Pentium overdrive processor @ 66mhz and 12MB of ram by time I got a new machine - though I reverted it to stock and restored the factory CD for nostalgic purposes. It had a 210MB Connor hard drive.

EDIT: Took some pics!!

My Packard Bell....the power supply blew so I hacked in a replacement...
P1030662.jpg

The 486SX @ 33MHz
P1030663.jpg

Packard Bell Navigator!
P1030664.jpg

My first ISP...
P1030665.jpg

Last edited:
Back