• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

VooDoo 2

aside from my main rig, my P2-500 gaming machine features 2x 12mb Voodoo2's in SLI is my next favorite gaming machine. Love moto racer and NFS 2 SE 3dfx =)

Varies a lot from game to game. I have one of the "Obsidian X24" cards (acquired used long after it was obsolete,) that is basically two Voodoo2's SLIed on a single card, and some games run noticeably faster than the single Voodoo2 card I had in before, some you can barely tell the difference.

Don't forget a single Voodoo 2 is limited to 800x600 while 2 in SLI can do 1024x768.

There are 8MB and 12MB versions of the Voodoo 2 (more texture memory).

As for speed? /meh maybe a smidge more in SLI vs a single card, but its game dependant. However, the SLI mode allows for higher resolution and perhaps the ability to turn more things on and up than a single card might allow for.

Mostly the difference was resolution and some speed. I have to say I was impressed after shelling out $300 for a single Voodoo 2 card when they first came out and comparing it to my original Voodoo 1 (which was only 640x480). Took me a year or more to get the second matching card for SLI which I still have today.

If you were not gaming back then you would not know how great 3dfx cards were out of the box and how many developers used glide in the late 1990's. Every game ran perfect using reference drivers out of the box, unlike say a TNT1 Nvidia card that took many drivers revisions (first AGP card I owned) just to get rid of graphics glitches.

It was the rise of single card solutions and 32bit video (Voodoo 1/2/3 were 16bit cards) plus the emergence of T&L that killed off 3dfx.

The Voodoo 5 5500 doesn't work in P4 systems (agp 8x) because of design issues.
That's why mine's slated for either a K6/2-450 or a Celery 600... I've got both available, still trying to decide which... probably come down to whichever one I can stuff the most RAM into.

Wait, I've also got a Slot A Athlon 600... Ah, decisions, decisions.

I think I originally had my 5500 installed in a p3-733 system when I purchased it (well I had a p2-450 but the card would not fit in the case so I just purchased a whole new system for it). That card should work in any high end P3 system which should be easy and cheap to source these days.

As for speed? /meh maybe a smidge more in SLI vs a single card, but its game dependent. However, the SLI mode allows for higher resolution and perhaps the ability to turn more things on and up than a single card might allow for.
How about 2-D duties? What are your using for 2-D, if anything. I thought I'd go with my trusty old Matrox Millennium w/the 2 MB daughter card. Also, found this while surfing . . .

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10201&cs_id=1020102&p_id=5361&seq=1&format=2

How about 2-D duties? What are your using for 2-D, if anything. I thought I'd go with my trusty old Matrox Millennium w/the 2 MB daughter card. Also, found this while surfing . . .

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10201&cs_id=1020102&p_id=5361&seq=1&format=2
I'm using a single V2 in a K6-III/400 rig. I coupled it with a TNT2 M64 AGP 16MB, mostly because that card is pretty bad in anything 3D (It's nothing special, in a way), it produces low amounts of heat and 16MB is good for 2D.
It doesn't really matter what 2D card you use, unless you want to use it for 3D also ;)

I have an 8MB Vodoo 2 spare and should pick up another V2 12MB SLI set, but you just can't have space for spares of everything.

Back