• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

tandom tm101-4 cap question

1ajs

Experienced Member
what kinda caps could i use to replace a burnt out cap at c19 on the controller board can't read the type it is as its burnt up anyone know?

i would post a pic if my camera was not dead but waiting for a charger to come in the mail as it went missing blah

would like to get this drive going again so i can play with my z90

If you set the jumpers correctly, you can put some standard DD PC drives into an h-89.

The goobered up siemens full hieghts had the same jumper namesas some 360k tandons, so I made them the same, and the drives worked reading the old hard sectored formats.

the tm101-4 from what i have found online is a 800k floppy drive? found a manual but it does not mention or show anything about the caps on it just the jumpers

u mean on the controllor card?

Your on the Heath 8 bit group aren't you. The 89 with the 90 sticker on the back, which is the same as an 89 but factory assembled.

Z-90-82, Assembled with 64K RAM, Z-89-37 Disk Controller Board, built-in floppy disk drive for 160K byes of data storage (use Z-87 for additional storage if needed) and three serial I/O ports, 55 lb.

The jumpers are on the drive, and will be labled DS0 and such. You even have the softsectored controller, which means you can use normal disks, instead of those terrible hardsectored disks.

I have no idea why some one would put in a quad density, 5 1/4 720k floppy into that system.

Anyways, any normal double density floppy drive will work in that system, once the jumpers on the floppy drive itself are set. The Z-89-37 (or H-89-37) softsectored disk controller manual should have the jumper settings in it. The H-17 hard sectored controller manual that came with my H-89, had a table of the drive jumper settings in it.

if i could find my adaptors i would just toss my 3 1/4 720k floppy in it witch has a cpm disk sitting in it for my heathkit h89

but yea i'll dig through my manuals and see if i can figure out where my half hiegh floppy drive went everythings moved on me in odd places as i recently moved

but still anyone able to help me identify the cap i need to replace or do i need to get a pic when my charger comes?

Last edited:
This isn't the first Z-37 with a 96 tpi soft-sectored disk that I've seen.

The odd thing is that there were some Z-37s out there with 96 tpi drives that were configured as 48 tpi drives. In other words, only the first half of a floppy (outer cylinders) was used! The first time I got one of those, I thought it was a fluke. Then I got a second and a third.

There are legitimate 80 cylinder /160 track Z-37 formats, but there's also that weird one...

Yes, please take a photo and we'll tell you what's what...

i've had 3 other drives in this machean including the stock h89 drive and the one outa my h77 and a half hight drive and none of them power up but i am getting power on the conector 12 and 5

ok i was using the wrong comand go instead of B arrg so long since i've used one but yea i apear to of found my drive from the h89 so one step closer now to see if i can find my power plug adaptors

scaled.php

ty i will see what i can find at the local hacker space for that in its invintory of random bits in the next couple days

anyhow heres the z89 with my siemens drive in it
z89j.jpg

Am I good or what? That's a 4.7 µF 16V tantalum. Note the side with the bar is the negative terminal--when you replace it, observe polarity.

If you don't have one, I suspect that a like-value electrolytic might do just as well. This doesn't look like it's in a timing-critical application.

That's a good macro lens you have.

txs man i will go hunting for one in the next couple days

nikor 60 2.8 none crop so its more like 90mm on my d70. don't use it enuff but its handy when i need it

Back