• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pet Ram/Rom Board.. Finally Arrived.

dabone

Veteran Member
After much trying to contact Nicolas Welte for the longest time and finally getting in touch with him, I got a package in the mail today.

20110725131128.jpg

20110725131154.jpg

Oh goody, time to assemble.

20110725144009.jpg

Oh No!, he left out a socket for the GAL.... Let's look in some of my old pinball stuff.

20110725144019.jpg

Goody! just the socket I need.

Finished!

20110725144618.jpg

Now, it will be tomorrow before I can test it. (I've got Firefighting training tonight, and the chief is in a foul mood, so I know I'm going to be tired when I get home).

dang it.

later,
dabone

Ok, couldn't wait and tried it late last night.

It worked first try!

I removed all the ram and the roms from the machine, and it does run alot cooler now. (And I have plently of spare video ram now! (all my ram is 6550s))

Tonight I get to try a disk drive.

Later,
dabone

That's great. Glad to hear it worked first time too, so no messing around with unnecessary troubleshooting.

Ok, I have a question and Mr. Welte is on holiday.

Which rom version should I use? Is the version 4 safe? I'm getting alot of screen snow with it.
I know I can use the disk drive with version 2 also.

I've got a 2001-8 with the 320008 motherboard, and I'm in the USA.

The Rom list on the eprom he sent.

Bank DIP
Nr. 8-9-10

0 0-0-0 BASIC1-N
1 0-1-0 BASIC1R-N
2 1-0-0 BASIC2-N
3 1-1-0 BASIC4R-N
4 0-0-1 BASIC4R-N-40/50
5 0-1-1 BASIC4R-B-80/50
6 1-0-1 BASIC4R-N-40/60
7 1-1-1 BASIC4R-B-80/60

Legend:
N Normal Keyboard
B Business Keyboard
40/50 40 Column 50 Hz
40/60 40 Column 60 Hz
80/50 80 Column 50 Hz
80/60 80 Column 60 Hz

Also, I noticed a header labeled reset under the 6502 socket, can I add a wire/button and hard reset the machine instead of power cycling? (I can't stand doing that to the monitor).

Later,
dabone

Last edited:
Ok, I have a question and Mr. Welte is on holiday.

Which rom version should I use? Is the version 4 safe? I'm getting alot of screen snow with it.
I know I can use the disk drive with version 2 also.

I've got a 2001-8 with the 320008 motherboard, and I'm in the USA.

Also, I noticed a header labeled reset under the 6502 socket, can I add a wire/button and hard reset the machine instead of power cycling? (I can't stand doing that to the monitor).

You have the small screen so you can use BASIC2-N although there should be a version of BASIC4 that will work with it, perhaps BASIC4R-N.

Yes, JP1 is for the RESET. Install a toggle switch or push-button and hook the common to pin 2 (RESET) and the NO to pin 1 (ground).

Basic 4 works fine, but seems to have the high speed screen poke enabled all the time. This won't damage a early board correct?

Later,
dabone

Basic 4 works fine, but seems to have the high speed screen poke enabled all the time. This won't damage a early board correct?

Later,
dabone
Correct. The infamous "Killer Poke didn't affect any of the motherboards but it could harm the monitor by running it at frequencies much different than what it was designed for, and causing excessive current damage. If the screen looks OK then everything's fine.

Yeah, all my PETs have reset buttons as well.

So, does your disk drive work, after all that?

I think there was a patch somewhere to clean up the video if you're running BASIC 4 on an old PET, but no idea where I saw it (or if I even really did ;-)

So, does your disk drive work, after all that?
Working fine, of course the first program I tried on the thing didn't work. (Space invaders, Basic 1 or 2 rom only for that one.)

But I used my Zoom floppy to run off 4 disk sides and have been trying them out, I did take a break and added the reset switch. (snaked out the side, I'm not going to mount anything or drill into this case.)

I need to rearrange, as my pet is behind me on a chest of drawers.
So I have to stand up to use it currently.

I think there was a patch somewhere to clean up the video if you're running BASIC 4 on an old PET, but no idea where I saw it (or if I even really did

I can live with dirty video, I just didn't want to hurt it.

Later,
dabone

Last edited:
Back