GottaLottaStuff

Veteran Member
The local newspaper has a new classified ad:
Computer - IBM PCjr, Monitor, Keyboards (3), & Documentation, $60
Should I:
A: Buy it.
B: Forget it.
C: Wait for the price to come down.
D: call about the "documentation", just to be nosy. :)
Suggestions?

If it is in good condition, then go with A. The price may be pretty good if it has a bunch of accessories and side cars.

B might be an option if you aren't that interested in getting a PCjr. Though they are nice little machines.

C probably won't happen, though you could offer him $50 and see if he goes for it.

D would be nice, report back here on your findings.

How about E: Make offer?

What are you willing to pay? It depends on how much interest the seller is seeing. If you are the only caller, the seller may come down in price.

The local newspaper has a new classified ad:
Computer - IBM PCjr, Monitor, Keyboards (3), & Documentation, $60
Should I:
A: Buy it.
B: Forget it.
C: Wait for the price to come down.
D: call about the "documentation", just to be nosy. :)
Suggestions?

$60 is not enough money to argue over. If the machine works and is that complete, it is at least fair and nearly a steal. Especially with the multiple keyboards and documentation.

Please don't lowball them ... that's just insulting. They priced it right to start. And don't wait because it probably will go to a recycling center if there are no bites.

... and if it has a copy of King's Quest with the keyboard overlay(s), sell it to me and it'll make your Jr free or nearly so :D

(I also have some spare connectors and whatnot for it if you're interested: serial cable, keyboard cable, Jr->CGA cable, etc)

Generally if it's local and has a monitor and keyboard you're looking at a good deal if it works, especially with any extras like the docs. While a PCjr may be worth $40 or so (WAG) the monitor and cable and the keyboard would cost more than the extra $20 to find in working condition, plus you'd end up with shipping costs, etc.

But yeah, depends how interested you are and how much joy you'll get out of it.

PCjrs seem to be very common. There are always many of them listed on Craigslist.

"PCjrs seem to be very common"
That's the feeling I'm getting. I'm also getting the feeling that people who have PCjrs are looking for software and sidecarts. People who don't have PCjrs don't want one. Personally, I have two PCjrs but only one keyboard and one monitor. (I do have a cga cable, but a cga monitor is worth twice what a PCjr is worth) I could get this setup for the keyboard and monitor, but then I'd be keeping the extra PCjr for the rest of my life. :(

And that exposes a problem ... few people are willing to save hardware that they don't need for a later date.

People who might be remotely interested should pick up the loose systems and extras while they are around. If nobody wants to do this the supply of spare parts will dwindle away.

It always seems like whenever you're looking for something, it's hard to find. And when you're not looking for something, you see it everywhere. I'm looking for a PCjr, but haven't came across one. Is that PCjr in the paper available for shpping or pickup only.

"Is that PCjr in the paper available for shpping or pickup only. "
Pickup only, I would imagine. The ad isn't running anymore, so it may be gone. I'll try and call Friday and see. I work 3pm-11pm so it's hard to do these things during the week.

"I'm looking for a PCjr, but haven't came across one."
Do you want one of mine? :)

Back