• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NEC PC-8201A's and TONS of stuff

curtis

Veteran Member
Okay guys, I just finished sorting out a couple of packages I received with a couple of ebay auctions.

It’s sort of a rescue. Fellow had an auction for a PICDrive for the NEC PC-8201. I wanted it, so I bid on it. He had an auction for an 8201A also, so I threw a bid for that and won them both. I emailed about a possibility of combining the 2 into one package and save some money on shipping.

He emailed me back saying he had some other stuff that had accumulated (go figure!) and he didn’t want to mess with trying to sell it on ebay as he was having REALLY bad luck getting anyone to bid on his items, so would I be interested in them for the cost of shipping? I said yes, and here’s what I ended up with.

It is way too much stuff for me as I already have most, if not all, of it so today is your lucky day!

I don’t expect to make a ton of money on these. I WOULD like to hopefully make some of my money back and perhaps cover some of my time cleaning and checking stuff out. Maybe enough for a large latte?

I’m also including a Silver NEC PC-8201 I picked up on another auction. Paid W – A – Y too much for it as the pictures were a bit blurry and I couldn’t assess the condition accurately. Seller said it would go in the trash if it didn’t sell and I was the only bidder (sucker) to place a bid. It’s in dire need of an extended cleaning and I just don’t have the time right now. Plus I already have a silver unit.

So, here’s the deal. If you see something you’d be interested in, shoot me a PM or an email with your offer and in all likelihood, I’ll accept your offer and it’s your for that price plus shipping. Like I said, I'm not trying to get rich here.

I’ll be shooting pictures and posting them shortly. Just wanted to get the list out there to hopefully whet some appetites!

Silver NEC PC-8201 – 16K. Not in the greatest of shape. Needs a serious cleaning. I did some, but it will take some serious elbow grease. Does show signs of use on all 4 corners.

Beige NEC PC 8201A – 64K. This unit is in very nice shape and doesn’t look used at all. Missing port covers on the parallel and RS-232 ports.Sticker on bottom from Systematics General noting 64K upgrade.

Beige NEC PC-8201A – 16K. Sometimes this one boots, then the next time it’s dead as a post. I’ve been in it and can’t find anything wrong. 16K memory. Case has some minor scratches, but overall cosmetically it’s very good. Nice place holder while you work on your show piece. Missing parallel, RS-232 BCR, and CMT covers.

BEIGE NEC PC-8201A – 32K. One full bank of RAM. Some minor scuffs on the corners, but would look good on a display shelf just as it is. Missing parallel, RS-232, and CMT covers.

PICDrive. This is the item that started all this! I won this in an ebay auction hoping it would work. Well, it ALMOST works. The drive responds to the initial command, but there is no motor on. There is also no head motion. I tried 2 different drives with same result. Appears there is a problem on the controller board. The access light acts like it would stay on all night waiting for the motor to turn and the head to move. Unit is in decent shape and shows signs of wear. Comes with 3 system disks, 2 original and 1 copy. Also includes T/Maker, T-Base, Writer, and IDEA! original software. There are also a dozen diskettes with software on them. AC adapter is included.

The PICDrive manual is included and is the original. Quite a bit of other documentation is included with Vol 1 # 1 and 2 of LAP Computers which reviews the PICDisk system.

Also includes manuals for Traveling Software’s T-Base, Idea!, Writer, ROM-View 80, and Appointment Manager.

EXTECH Mini parallel Printer III with cable and AC adapter and several rolls of thermal paper.. Nifty little printer to use with one of these little laptops. Looks like it was originally designed to work as a POS printer, but is very useful for BASIC program listings. I checked it just that way by typing in a little 3 line program and then list’ed it out with no problems. Uses 4 AA rechargeable battery pack that doesn’t hold a charge. Easy to get rebuilt at Battery’s Plus or do it yourself.

Cassette with cord SOLD
8201A User’s Guide SOLD

N82-BASIC Reference Manual

PC-8201A Personal Application Kit Guide SOLD

2 original Personal Application Kit Cassettes. 1 with case and 1 without.

1 Ni-Cad battery pack that needs rebuilding as it’s starting to "snow" a little.

2 empty battery packs.

5 Epson ERC-09 PURPLE(!) ribbons cassettes. Beats the heck out of me!

I also received an original PC-8200 Technical Notes and PC-8201A Technical Manual that I will be scanning in and will make these available online at no charge. I’m keeping the originals. Yeah, go ahead and call me stingy and greedy! I don’t care. :biggrin:

I’m also going to scan the PICDrive manual and make it available so if someone else has one of these that might work, but don’t know how to set the thing up, they can hopefully get theirs working.

So there it is. Pictures will be posted shortly.

If you have questions, I’m here almost every day, so ASK!!!

As far as shipping is concerned, I'm willing to do international. USPS, UPS, FedEx. Priority, Parcel Post. Whatever, I'm flexible.

Obviously, I'm also willing to combine shipping.

Local pick up is also available if you happen to be driving near Amarillo, TX.

Last edited:
Okay, the 32K is now acting a little flaky. Tried to turn it on and no joy. Waited a couple of seconds and it fired right up! Backup battery bad? Possible. Caveat emptor!

Anyway, here's some shots of the 32K unit.

32K_8201a_back.jpg32K_8201a_corner.jpg32K_8201a_rear.jpg32K-8201a_front.jpg

Okay, here's the 16K 8201a. It actually decided to boot!

Notice the scuffs on the corners.

I'm definitely NOT trying to hide anything here.

16K_8201a front.jpg16K_8201a_bottom.jpg16K_8201a_rear.jpg

This is the little Extech printer.

It really is pretty nifty. Thermal printhead.

3 extra rolls of paper, power supply, and L - O - N - G printer cable!

extech_batteries.jpgextech_cable.jpgextech_printer.jpg

The manuals don't look like they've ever been opened!
The battery compartment on the cassette in clean. The foam had deteriorated so I scrubbed it out.

Attachments

• manuals_and_tapes.jpg
    manuals_and_tapes.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 8201_cassette.jpg
    8201_cassette.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 8201_cassette_back.jpg
    8201_cassette_back.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1
  • 8201_cassette_battery.jpg
    8201_cassette_battery.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
Okay, here's the battery compartments and Epson ribbons.

The nicad batteries are starting to "snow" a bit, so they'll need to be replaced. The other 2 cartridges look like they have been worked on, but work just fine.

The Epson ribbons? I haven't a clue! PURPLE!!!!!

battery_holder.jpgnicad.jpgnimh.jpgribbons.jpg

Now for the item that started this whole she-bang, the PICDrive.

It definitely shows some use. The clamp is missing a spring, but that's an easy fix.

6 original disks including the system disk and utilities plus T-Maker.

picdisk_all.jpgpicdisk_claw.jpgpicdisk_disks.jpgpicdisk_front.jpgpicdisk_spring.jpg

Not sure how many images I'm allowed per post, so I'll break it up.

Lots of documentation on the PICDisk.

lap_newsletters.jpgpicdisk_docs.jpgpicdisk_manual.jpgpicdisk_t-maker.jpg

As you may have noticed, most of the pictures are quick and dirty.

If anyone wants more detailed pictures on something, let me know and give me a little time. Please remember I do work full time and am going to class on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

Questions? ASK!!!!!

Finally, if some of this doesn't sell, I will NOT throw it away. It'll get stuck in a corner, drawer, box, etc and forgotten about until such time as I open it up and scratch my head and wonder when and where I got it from.

Okay, is nobody interested in any of this?

So far I've only had one offer on some stuff which I accepted at once.

I know the market is WAY down on 8201 stuff, so I'm not pushing for any particular price. I'm just looking to get some of this out to a good home.

Yes, with some exceptions.

The 8201a comes with BASIC, TEXT, and TELCOM.
The 100 adds ADDRSS and SCHEDL in ROM.

Otherwise, the loadable software is GENERALLY the same. There are a few programs that DO NOT work with the 8201a's. But those usually are the ones that POKE to certain memory locations. Any BASIC program, as a general rule, will work for the whole series.

I do believe the PAK cassette that came with the 8201 was specific to the 8201 series. Probably, again, due to a slightly different memory map.

Hope that answers your questions.

Hmm, is the software on the PC-8201A the same as one the TRS-80 Model 100? It's in ROM?

Okay, I posted this stuff on 5 September.

I'm willing to give it another week, then I'm going to take my chances with ebay.

So, after the 19th, it's going to start trickling onto ebay.

Come on guys!!! I'd much rather it go to someone here than some unknown in Italy!

I think another difference is that the Mod 100 has an internal modem and the 8201 has just a serial port. But both have a darned decent keyboard, particularly compared to some modern netbooks.

Yes, I have both. They have great keyboards. Of the two prefer the NEC's keyboard due to the diamond cursor arrangement.

Tez

I Have a PC-8201A if it can be used with the PICDrive I would like to know how much you will take for it.

Back