• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I have just purchased a ibm 5170

before i open the monitor are there any precautions i should take in doing so?

Sears has a sort of exploded view of the monitor here. The rear cover should come off by removing recessed screws (labeled 21) on the bottom of the cover. You should get a clear view of the electronics PCB just by pulling the cover off--you needn't disconnect anything else.

Easy way to prevent that. Turn the monitor on, and unplug it while on or turn off the surge strip if you have one. This will discharge most if not all the stored electricity through the earth ground safely...

That is incorrect.

You betcha it's incorrect. A CRT is a big low-loss high voltage capacitor. When decomissioning TVs, you've got to be careful--a CRT can hold quite a wallop for well over a month.

Just keep your fingers away from the (usually) red wire that connects to what looks like a suction cup on the side of the CRT and you'll be fine. The wire (at least when it was new) is very well insulated.

An old electrician's rule of thumb is to keep one hand in your back pocket when working with powered-on high voltage equipment. You might get nipped if you're careless, but at least you won't get hurt.

i opened it up and i see two variable capacitors on the side of a pcb one white and one blue what do i do

Not capacitors, but resistors. The PCB contains no silk-screening as to function?

Mark the locations of the current settings, power it up with your 5170 and try tweaking each one to see if the display clears up. If not, return them to their marked settings.

Did they change things at all?

If not, we have at least three possibilities--the card has a problem or the cable going to the monitor has a problem or there's something wrong electrically with the monitor.

At your level of experience with electronics, I don't know what more help I can offer. I do suggest that you try the monitor on a known-good monochrome setup (i.e. maybe there's a forum member in your area with a 5150 or 5160 with a monochrome card). New Jersey isn't after all, the middle of nowhere.

Good luck!
Chuck

to be honest that graphics card is the only one that could get video to appear on the monitor ill experiment some with it and get back to you with results

ps: also can you tell me how to test the monitor cable

You need a continuity tester of some sort. Many inexpensive DMMs also include an audible indicator. Inside of most cables are color-coded wires. You simply check for continuity from the end of one wire where it terminates in the connector on one end and usually on a connector that plugs into the monitor circuit board on the other. You should also check for shorts between pins of the connector--there should be no continuity from one pin to the next.

You need a continuity tester of some sort. Many inexpensive DMMs also include an audible indicator. Inside of most cables are color-coded wires. You simply check for continuity from the end of one wire where it terminates in the connector on one end and usually on a connector that plugs into the monitor circuit board on the other. You should also check for shorts between pins of the connector--there should be no continuity from one pin to the next.

Ive tested the cable and it is shorted on two wires so if you have any suggestions please reply

Back