• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picked up a new Bondwell Portable Computer from the recyclers

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
I went to the recyclers this morning to drop off an old burned in monitor and with my vintage computer goggles on I saw a diamond in the rough. A Bondwell Portable Computer Model 12. The guys working there didn't know what it was and probably didn't care, I asked if I could take it and they said sure :)

It's my first CP/M computer so I'm pretty excited about that. Just have to get my hands on some software. The computer is in immaculate condition too, just a little yellowed being almost 30 years old.

I've never seen one either. I just noticed its form factor from a distance at the recyclers and knew it was an 80s portable computer of some sort. I don't know how rare or valuable it is, I'm guessing it's about the same price as an osborne.

Yep, it's a beautiful thing when you're the only person who values it :) Though the flip side is that sometimes they'll just smash something up when you'dve loved to have taken it...

I still remember snagging my iMac G4 from the recycler and the one guy trying to convince the owner that maybe they should put it up for auction :D

TanruNomad, would you happen to have boot disks for that? There's one at my local thrift shop and I didn't want to bother with it unless I could get software for it.

tnx.

g.

Well rumor has it it's compatible with most Kaypro 2 stuff. I'm suppose to pick up some software for it this weekend. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Well "compatible with Kaypro 2" most likely doesn't extend to the OS. CP/M is CP/M. Something written for a Bondwell CP/M 2.2 system will work equally as well as something written for <insert generic s100 box here> CP/M 2.2. The Bondwell may have terminal emulation features that mimic what the K2 used (ADM3a I think), but I would be astonished if a disk for a K2 actually booted the machine.

I'm going to try to remember to pick up the machine on the way home tonight. I've read that it can be turned into a Bondwell 14 by adding double sided drives and another 64k of RAM. I've got boot disk images for the 14. Can you open the case on yours and take a pic of the motherboard? I'm curious to see what I'm getting into. :)

tnx.

g.

I stopped off to pick up the machine today. The employee didn't know how much the proprietor wanted for the machine, but seemed to think that "it was something crazy, like $75". I told him if it was $75, it wasn't crazy, it was insane. :)

The machine did have a couple of disks tucked into the bay under drive B:, so _if_ I get it and the disks aren't trashed I'll publish IMD images of them.

I left my contact info - if the guy wants more than $20, he can keep the stupid thing. :)

g.

$75! Holy .....! Yeah under $20 should be good. Did he at least let you test it? And as far as upgrading to a 14 model, it should be easy like you said. Mine has already had 64K added, haven't looked at the floppy drives yet. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was already upgraded too.

Back