• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Plastic Simm slots on motherboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barney

Experienced Member
I would like to personally SLAP the face of the person who decided to use "plastic" simm slots on motherboards. They are extremely brittle and wear out Way to quickly. They piss me off!!!

Well, you could replace them with machine-socket headers and use SIPPs in them, but I'm not certain that it's an improvement--and SIPPs are much harder to find than SIMMs.

Fortunately, either can be replaced.

Ha. I was working with some low-end IBM PS/2 computers already in the late 1990's, and the plastic snapped already back then. In order to hold all SIMMs in place, I used a piece of tape pulled so tight that it would hold the modules by force. Well, I don't know how long the tape remained tight though, but it worked for that occasion.

That happened all the time back when these things were new, too. Was a common problem on some Macintosh computers as well. I remember all sorts of kludge/fixes that were done to keep the RAM in - toothpicks wedged in just right, bits of plastic or wood between the SIMMs and the whole bundle tightly wrapped with rubber bands, hot glue, etc.

Obviously, the best thing to do is just replace the sockets. I know that at least a few years ago you could buy them new from Jameco (metal clip version). They're not terribly hard to replace.

-Ian

I bet some small zip ties would also work. Just cinch them up tight ass hell and hope for the best.

Back