• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greetings

Talon

Hiya,

Thought I'd drop a quick note introducing myself and why I joined. My names Talon and I'm a computer nerd with a fascination and drive to build and restore old PC's. I've recently rescued a 10 year old from a trip to the dump and wanted to know if anyone could recommend sites or options to help me find what the Motherboard could handle upgrading components. I've never seen the type of chip I found so this is a bit new but I love a challenge.

Anyway here's what she is.
K7v Athlon Atx
amd-k7650mtr518 processor
Sdr dimm is PC100
Power supply is 250w

So any sites that might tell me what the motherboard could handle would be awesome.
Thanks in advance
T

Hiya,

Thought I'd drop a quick note introducing myself and why I joined. My names Talon and I'm a computer nerd with a fascination and drive to build and restore old PC's. I've recently rescued a 10 year old from a trip to the dump and wanted to know if anyone could recommend sites or options to help me find what the Motherboard could handle upgrading components. I've never seen the type of chip I found so this is a bit new but I love a challenge.

Anyway here's what she is.
K7v Athlon Atx
amd-k7650mtr518 processor
Sdr dimm is PC100
Power supply is 250w

So any sites that might tell me what the motherboard could handle would be awesome.
Thanks in advance
T

Welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing the motherboard is an Asus K7V.

This link might get you started:

http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/AsusK7V.htm

Welcome to the forums. You look just like another member here. It's a bit newer than most of the system we chat about but glad you're out there doing the same thing and reutilizing old hardware. So you've never seen the chip as in the K7 before or you mean chipset of the motherboard? Is it a socket or was it the Slot-A? These came out right after the "Super 7" sockets and for a brief period (almost testing period) it seemed like they came out in both flavors early on. 650 would be an early K7 too.

Chip not motherboard

Chip not motherboard

Welcome to the forums. You look just like another member here. It's a bit newer than most of the system we chat about but glad you're out there doing the same thing and reutilizing old hardware. So you've never seen the chip as in the K7 before or you mean it wof the motherboard? Is it a socket or was it the Slot-A? These came out right after the "Super 7" sockets and for a brief period (almost testing period) it seemed like they came out in both flavors early on. 650 would be an early K7 too.

The slot A was new to me. 'd always seen the sockets so finding a chip that looked like an old atari cartridge was a surprise. Is there a sister community that deals with newer(but still old) systems?
I understand this is far from vintage but it was the best fit from what i found.

Thanks for the replys and the link to kickass gear, had some good info on it.

T

Back