• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Arachne fails to launch

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Running 1.95/286 on a Compaq Portable II, 640kb RAM. Installed fine, then goes "Arachne is taking off" and sits there forever. Was the cause of this ever found?

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Running 1.95/286 on a Compaq Portable II, 640kb RAM. Installed fine, then goes "Arachne is taking off" and sits there forever. Was the cause of this ever found?

Arachne needs a lot of free memory so perhaps look at that. I haven't tried 1.95/286, but looking at the readme for 1.70 I see that requires 500KB free memory, and 560KB if you are also running the built in PPP dialer.

I'll throw my notes on Arachne here.

After checking out that link, it looks like that version of Arachne is for 8088/286, I think I tried that a couple years ago (or maybe it was 1.93), on my GEM 286 computer. I was having trouble getting it to work for some reason. Maybe I'll retry tomorrow if I have time and repost.

I'm running Arachne 0.73 with the really really old Arachne 8088/286 real/286 protected mode APM file installed. I have a video of it on youtube under the name "Internet on a 286" or something like that (alias, Creepingnet). I would be willing to put this up as an upload as it's the only working install of it I've seen on a 286 thus far.

One thing I found on my computer that Arachne likes to use EMS/XMS driver if you have HIMEM.SYS loaded on your 286. That really boosts performance and makes the chance that it will run more likely.

Back