• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex external tape drive, what controller?

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have this Everex external tape drive here... dunno what it is, but it's black with a grey cable and 62-pin connector. It uses DC60 tapes?? They look like old fashioned audio tapes and can hold 60MB.

Is there any way to determine what controller goes with the drive? Of course one of the Everex EV-??? series would be a good choice, but is it QIC-02 or QIC-36?

Dennis

afaik these drives used a specific driver and a specific controller card to go with them, I have a couple in a box somewhere, both different and sound different than yours, too. If I can I'll take a few pictures and post them up. Might take a while.

Wish I could help more. Time to research that drive.

Thanx for the reply,

I hope I can find out something about the drive or controller... Problem is, there's nothing on the drive like a serial number or model number. I only know it's a black external 60MB tape drive that uses those old DC60 "audio-tape-resembling" tapes to put up to 60MB on those tapes.

Googling doesn't get me any further either ("everex 60mb tape drive"). The only thing I can think of is that it either needs an EV-830 or EV-831 controller, since those are 62-pin tape controller boards made by Everex (there's also the EV-833 and I think that's the MCA version). Those boards have a 62-pin external connector, and are made by Everex. But I don't know if there's any risc in getting the wrong one connected. Like, does connecting a QIC-36 board to a QIC-02 drive (and vice versa) mess up the board/drive or does it just not work?

Or maybe it's got some proprietary tape standard? 62-pin connector with tape does get me some QIC-36 and QIC-02 results. It's strange I can't find anything online about these drives, since Everex tape drives were pretty common here in Holland BITD... not too expensive and pretty good quality (although Archive and Tandberg were the real thing).

The drive does look like this TEAC drive (pic stolen through google):
mt2st.jpg

It looks exactly like this one, except for that it's in an external black case with a grey 62-pin cable attached to it...

Dennis

Everex ISA controllers

Everex ISA controllers

The Everex controller boards are pretty much identical to boards designed by Wangtek.
There are QIC-36 and QIC-02 versions. The QIC-02 is smaller and have fewer
parts, since QIC-02 is a parallel interface similar to SCSI. Documents can be found
at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/wangtek PC-36 and PC-02.

Has anyone ever figured out what the on tape format is created by the Everex EZtape software?

Hi all,

I have this Everex external tape drive here... dunno what it is, but it's black with a grey cable and 62-pin connector. It uses DC60 tapes?? They look like old fashioned audio tapes and can hold 60MB.

Is there any way to determine what controller goes with the drive? Of course one of the Everex EV-??? series would be a good choice, but is it QIC-02 or QIC-36?

Dennis

I found this message, since I own the same 'Everex' tape drive. I picked it up years ago on a flea-market.
Now I wonder where are they originally came from? I can not find any information on the web.

Any information on the source of this drive? Any chance of getting another one somewhere? :)

Thanks!

i have everex ev-831 tape controlleers on my website pcequip.com i have them new and used email me if you want one the software is not working correctly

Say what? I've just removed the junk from the web site. Do you need it? I can re-post to a box.com account if you're willing to put it somewhere where it won't disappear.

Hey Chuck,

Sure thing. I am in the process of copying my local archive (200TB space) to my cloud-storage VPS (www.varcem.com), and things will
not disappear there. Any and all old software and docs will have a place there.

[erm, and the accompanying old hardware is, erm, having a place at my home ...]

--Fred

I passed a copy of 1.13 along to Ray at MZD, so hopefully, it won't disappear. There's a later copy also for the 120MB Irwin drive over at HP Museum. Originally packaged with the 486 Vectras.

Back