• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

200MHz MMX... will it work in XPS P166s?

BGoins12

Experienced Member
Anyone on here know if a 200MHz MMX Pentium will work in the Dimension XPS P166s? They were equipped 133, 166, and 200MHz non-MMX Pentiums. I was told that the MMX requires dual voltages. Anyone know if this particular model will accept MMX pentiums?

Anyone on here know if a 200MHz MMX Pentium will work in the Dimension XPS P166s? They were equipped 133, 166, and 200MHz non-MMX Pentiums. I was told that the MMX requires dual voltages. Anyone know if this particular model will accept MMX pentiums?
MMX ones do require dual voltage, I highly doubt that board will take a MMX chip straight out, that said, Intel made Pentium OverDrive chips with MMX that WOULD work in a single voltage system, I happen to own one, but its only a 166MMX chip. I have my "POD" installed in a "Netpliance i-opener" I replaced an "180mhz IDT WinChip" with it, the 166MMX may be slower clock speed, but those IDT chips wern't that great, so it performs a bit faster, plus now its got MMX extensions.

Here are the jumper settings for CPU settings on your system, no mention anywhere of MMX support, so very unlikely, unless its undocumented. (If its got undocumented support for it I would put my money on "J6M1" for VRE, which is probably voltage regulator, but you could hose things up messing with it, so mess at your own risk).

does the actual socket say "socket 5" or "socket 7"

the XPS P166s had a 430VX chipset.. trying to work out any MMX boards used that chipset
one thing i did learn is that chipset ran poorly if more than 64Mb of ram was used

EDIT >> well the chipset was used in some MMX boards at least

Double Edit >> the board is not made to take MMX chips, but it will run them and eventually cook the chip

Last edited:
It does have the 430VX chipset. I read that as well about the memory. 64MB is good enough for what I am doing.

The MMX is no big deal, only bad thing is finding a 200MHz non-MMX Pentium will be hard... they are kind of an oddball.

MMX ones do require dual voltage, I highly doubt that board will take a MMX chip straight out, that said, Intel made Pentium OverDrive chips with MMX that WOULD work in a single voltage system, I happen to own one, but its only a 166MMX chip. I have my "POD" installed in a "Netpliance i-opener" I replaced an "180mhz IDT WinChip" with it, the 166MMX may be slower clock speed, but those IDT chips wern't that great, so it performs a bit faster, plus now its got MMX extensions.

The reason why the POD is faster then the Winchip is that it has more on-board cache. The i-Opener has no external L2 cache, so every little bit helps. Some enterprising folks did a split volt mod to use MMX chips directly, but I recall it being quite a bit of work and soldering. The best chips to run in the machine were either POD MMX or the rare IDT WinChip 2. Still got my i-Opener mint in the box and modded. Fun little machine and the price was right for $99.

The reason why the POD is faster then the Winchip is that it has more on-board cache. The i-Opener has no external L2 cache, so every little bit helps. Some enterprising folks did a split volt mod to use MMX chips directly, but I recall it being quite a bit of work and soldering. The best chips to run in the machine were either POD MMX or the rare IDT WinChip 2. Still got my i-Opener mint in the box and modded. Fun little machine and the price was right for $99.
Yeah, cache was the big factor on the POD, also I believe it had better FPU than the winchips. I read about the split voltage mods back in the day, but I am not good with surface mount components. I want to say some folks got a certain AMD K6 or K6-2 chip working (I want to say 300 or 333AFR? model) in those i-openers even. Paid $99 for mine at circuit city back in the day, tossed a hard drive in it, some more ram and that POD166, and it was our kitchen computer for a few years (ordered from "simon delivers" groceries back in the day) . I haven't used it in years now, its boxed up in storage now.

It does have the 430VX chipset. I read that as well about the memory. 64MB is good enough for what I am doing.

The MMX is no big deal, only bad thing is finding a 200MHz non-MMX Pentium will be hard... they are kind of an oddball.
You might have about as much luck hunting down a non-MMX 200 as you would hunting down a POD-MMX 200.

Have you thought about extra cooling (probably don't even need extra if its already got decent HS/Fan combo) and trying to clock the current 166 up to 200?

Well, now I'm really confused over who wants what.

But if we're trading like-for-like, I'd like to exchange something that's not x80, x86, 68K or PPC-based. Perhaps a National PACE, SC/MP, RCA 1802 or maybe one of those Russian LSI-11 clones.

You get the idea.

Back