• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Source for 720KB diskettes (Was: Interesting requet.

...Not long ago, I checked with Athana for a customer who wanted thousands of DS2Ds. Athana responded by saying that nobody made them or was likely to make them and good luck with the floppydisk.com people.
Ya shoulda asked me; I picked up a few hundred boxed NOS a year or so ago and there were several thousand more available, but although people are always complaining about their scarcity when I offered them here and elsewhere for around $20/50 only two people asked about them, so I ended up giving a bunch away to club members and let the rest go to landfill or wherever.

Chuck.... of course I know the difference.... and there's no need for the patronizing tone. I've probably been doing this for as long or longer than you have, and had almost a decade in the 1980's of working in Boca Raton on just these issues. I simply think you are incorrect, or you are repeating a published article that was incorrect when it was written.

Please, that's insulting. I started my work with 8" disks in the 1970s. My material comes from NML--back in the 90s, I had a long discussion with a few of their people--who know more about magnetic recording than I'll ever know. If you've perused any of my earlier statements, you'll find that I've said exactly what you've observed--and added that the coating thickness and loading differs between the two media.

If anything, using HD media in a 2D drive will result in better data stability due to it's higher flux density.

If all things were the same in both cases, I'd agree with you.

I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong, but I'll need some authoritative source. Why not contact the NML and see what they think? I'll go along with whatever they say.

Goodness me I didn't mean the thread to turn into a slanging match. Just for the record I've accessed around 20 of the 720k disks and there seems to be no issues with any of them all. Considering they are 1992/3 mag cover disks produced in the thousands I'd say that's pretty good going. The best thing is they cost nothing and relived some early 90s moments playing TIM along with a whole host of other games.

Normal broardcasting will resume shortly.............................;)

Last edited:
actually Caluser.... normal broadcasting will probably not resume shortly. There's a bit too much of the "big fish in a little pond" and/or self proclaimed experts around here for me to stay. Gggeeezzz. I'm outa here.

For the record, you might want to talk to IBM. We exhaustively tested HD media in the 720k drives, and found them to be "without issue". I should know.... I wrote the report in 1987. I'm sure it's in their archives.

. . . For the record, you might want to talk to IBM. We exhaustively tested HD media in the 720k drives, and found them to be "without issue". I should know.... I wrote the report in 1987. I'm sure it's in their archives.

I'm just a little fish and not such a strong swimmer. :) So, I wasn't able to find the report you mention. It would be really useful, and a great contribution, if you would be so kind as to post a link for us. Thanks. :)

Back