• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Type 0667 ESDI Switch Settings

marmotking

Experienced Member
Howdy, I have a pile of these drives but none of them seem to be recognized by the controller. I know the cabling and controller are working properly, as I've tested about 5 other types of ESDI drives using this test bed. There's a block of dip switches on the drive, but I cannot find any information on the configuration of the switches anywhere online. It seems to be a popular drive. The only information on the drive that I can find is at http://theref.mfarris.com/hard_drives/ibm/ibm_0667-85.html. Does anyone have any information on the dip switch settings? I have properly terminated the drive. Thanks!

Interface: ESDI
Formatted Capacity: 71.0MB

Physical Characteristics

Cylinders: 583
Precomp:
Landing Zone:
Sectors/Track: 36
Platters: 4
R/W Heads: 7
Servo Heads:

Last edited:
OK, I found a PC/RT manual online which showed a 70MB ESDI drive looking exactly the same as the Type 0667. The PC/RT manual referred to the drive as E70 or R70 (I might add that E70 nor R70 are present in any markings on the drive). I then searched for that and found information about those drives here:

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/ibmrt/faqs/hardware.txt

Which shows the switch layout as follows:

Code:
H.19 - What is the difference between an R70 and an E70 drive?

Both drives are physically identical 'IBM type 0667' hard drives.
     The difference is in the formatting, and coupled with the
     Extended ESDI Magnetic Media Adapter. This adapter also employs the
     RT PCs burst DMA I/O capability and incorporates a more efficient 
     alternate-sector scheme than the previous ESDI adapter.

Code:
*  The E70 and E114 hard drives use a 150 Ohm inline resistor.
    It has pin one as the common pin, and has 12 total leads.
    This is NOT documented ANYWHERE that I could find!

* Switch settings for E70 and E114 hard drives.
   For RT installation, the switches must be as follows:

1  2  3  4  5  6
                +------------------+
           On   |    X  X     X    |
           Off  | X        X     X | 
                +------------------+

- Eliot  <eliot@engr.washington.edu>
         reports that the switch meanings are:

switch
                1:      on  = pwr up via software (factory default)
                        off = pwr up with system
                2:      on  = diags (factory default)
                        off = ?  
                        [ My guess.. since on is the RT normal position, 
                          then off must activate diagnostic mode. - MW]
                3:      on  = 512 byte sectors (factory default)
                        off = 256 byte sectors
                4,5,6:  drive select in binary
                        i.e. 4 off 5 on 6 off = drive select 2

The PC/RT manual was here:

http://www.typewritten.org/Articles/IBM/sa23-2609-0.pdf

NOW an interesting thing is that I have a WD1007A-WAH (16-bit ISA, ESDI controller). It can control up to 2 ESDI drives and refers to them as 0 and 1. To get the drive to show up as drive 0, I had to set the drive select switches to 1 (i.e. 4 on, 5 off, 6 off). It also appeared that setting them to drive 2 (i.e. 4 off, 5 on, 6 off) made it show up as drive 1 on the WD1007. Very odd, but it lets me test and format the drive.

Not that anyone will care, but I figured since I posted the question and later found the answer I should at least post the answer here for posterity.

Last edited:
...Not that anyone will care, but I figured since I posted the question and later found the answer I should at least post the answer here for posterity.

Sorry, the IBM Pocket Reference does refer slightly to the drives, but doesn't show jumper setting like it does for other drives. There is typos in the reference, so you are probably more correct about the Sectors/Tracks number of 36, rather than it saying 30. The larger 115Mb drive is the 0669 (with listed parameters of 28/7/915).

FRUs may be good to search on too: 72X8519 for the 70Mb, 90X7392 for the 115Mb...

They were also in particular submodels of the PS/2 Model 60 and Model 80...

Thanks for the reply!

OK, this one says "70MB ESDI 90x8528" on a sticker on the front. The 36 sectors does appear correct in that the WD1007A controller comes up with a configuration matching the one above that I found online at the mfarris.com site. BTW, this has to be the slowest drive I've ever low-level formatted...

Last edited:
OK, latest issue. Ug, these drives are making me lose my hair!

I started low-level formatting one of the drives using the WD1007A controller. These drives have 583 cylinders according to the information I've found online and the WD1007A confirms this. However, it stopped formatting with an error at cylinder 550 (I don't know if that's 1 or 0 based). So, I thought, maybe the drive is bad since it crashes out of the format routine with an error. So, I tried a second drive. Same thing. Stops formatting with an error at cylinder 550.

Any clues would be very helpful and very much appreciated! In fact, worth a beer if you find yourself in Seattle!

OK, latest issue. Ug, these drives are making me lose my hair!

I started low-level formatting one of the drives using the WD1007A controller. These drives have 583 cylinders according to the information I've found online and the WD1007A confirms this. However, it stopped formatting with an error at cylinder 550 (I don't know if that's 1 or 0 based). So, I thought, maybe the drive is bad since it crashes out of the format routine with an error. So, I tried a second drive. Same thing. Stops formatting with an error at cylinder 550.

Any clues would be very helpful and very much appreciated! In fact, worth a beer if you find yourself in Seattle!

Have the drives been used in an IBM RT (http://ibmmuseum.com/ohlandl/6152/RT-PC_Enh_ESDI.html, it sounds like that drive would have commonly been used there)? A LLF should wipe out any prior geometry, but I'm just throwing some ideas around. It would also be interesting to see what the Ctrl-A LLF would do in the properly equiped Model 60/80.

Unfortunately I don't know the history of the drives. Someone gave me a box of about 8 of them. The only way I have to format them is in a generic 486 system with an WD1007A controller card. I don't have an actual IBM RT or anything. I'll be eventually using them in other systems but I like to test and erase any new drives I get in. I think I have another ESDI controller somewhere, I'm going to take a look and see. BTW, I know the controller is good. At least it's was good enough to LLF about 15 other ESDI drives of other brands and models. It seems to be only the 0667 drives that are giving me trouble.

OK, I've got it working. I don't understand it, but there's a lot of things in the world that I don't understand! ESDI is just the latest...

In reviewing the controller documentation, I noticed that the card has two modes. So, I switched the "mode" of the WD1007A-WAH to be in WD1005WAH mode using jumper W8. I think this, among other things, changes the interleave and also apparently changes how the sectors/track is determined (although it still seems to be using 36). Now it LLF's perfectly.

BTW, for anyone who cares, you can find the WD1007A-WAH/WA2 manual here:

http://www.e-tech.net/~pbetti/archive/rlee/W/WESTERN DIGITAL/1007wah.pdf

If this link ever goes dead, just e-mail me as I've saved a copy. I also saved a copy of the WD1007V-SE2 manual which is the other ESDI controller I have.

Last edited:
Back