• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modern computer question

RPM94

Experienced Member
Williamstown, West Virginia, United States
Does anyone know where to get some broken Alienware tower, regular tower and laptops pretty cheap, kind of short on money? I have looked around Ebay and other places and they are wanting way to much for broken stuff. I am wanting to get some more training on this before I take the test next year to get my A+ so I can do it to make money. So anything will help right now. Thanks!

Don't know about Alienware (is there any real difference besides groovy case aesthetics?) but you can probably get a ton of P4-era equipment for free or dirt-cheap from your local recycle center. I even snagged an early Core 2 Duo from mine.

For years I would read the specs for the latest top of the line Alienware tower, and then go buy the motherboard, processor and other components. Then just put it together myself. They didn't use anything you couldn't buy off the shelf, aside from the case.
If you can build up a computer from parts, I fail to see what hunting down old Alienware buys you?
Kipp

and very heavy so people can't steal it
hehehehehehehe... If it doesn't weigh a few hundred pounds, like a safe, it's not heavy enough to keep it from being stolen. :) :) And if theft is a real concern, you shouldn't even be living there. You don't need a new computer -- you need a new place to live.

I am not worried about it at all but in case, I thought I put as easy after very heavy but oh well about it. It is just heavy enough so they can't run as fast with it, I have tried. But thanks for the opinions.

You do lock your doors are night, don't you?

If you can track one down, an Antec Plus 1080 AMG has a locking front and side, so no power switch\CD drive playing around and no inside playing around, and the case weighs a good 20 pounds empty.

Back when I had my system in the Plus 1080 AMG it weighed about 70 pounds, with a motherboard, 3x hard drive, 2 DVD burners, a GeForce 6800, a floppy drive, a 430 watt power supply and all the other small odds and ends you need. It weighed close to 35 pounds built, not a fun one to move.

Back