• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ST251-1 on WD1006 RLL controller

pearce_jj

Veteran Member
Hi, just wondering if the above could ever work - with the drive type set to a 17spt varient, will an RLL controller write at MFM rate?

Which version of the 1006 controller do you have? I used a lot of the 1006s and I seem to remember that it doesn't matter what the drive type is set to--type 1 was usual. The BIOS on the 1006 patched in the proper parameters once you did a LLF.

Hi Chuck, it's a WD1006V-SRI F006 CD7, which is a cut-down version fitted to the Amstrad PC2286 when the onboard controller couldn't be made to work - it lacks a BIOS or floppy header.

I think you mean WD1006V-SR1 (floppy-less version of the the -SR2). At any rate, are you sure there's no BIOS? These boards are all SMT with the BIOS in an unsocketed PLCC in an OTP 27C64. Look at the IC just below the header for the activity LED on the extreme left side of the card--a 32-pin PLCC 27C64.

The BIOS address for this card's LLF code is CC00:5, not C800:5, as on other controller cards and cannot be changed.

Is there a reason that you don't want to format the drive as RLL?

Perhaps there is already data on it and you just want to add to it?

The 251-1 will reliably operate as a 60 MB on a RLL controller whereas the 251 or 251-0 (same thing) won't.

People used to use the 251-1 all the time as a 60 MB unit and ran them that way until they retired the machine without any ill affects.

I think you mean WD1006V-SR1 (floppy-less version of the the -SR2). At any rate, are you sure there's no BIOS? These boards are all SMT with the BIOS in an unsocketed PLCC in an OTP 27C64. Look at the IC just below the header for the activity LED on the extreme left side of the card--a 32-pin PLCC 27C64.

The BIOS address for this card's LLF code is CC00:5, not C800:5, as on other controller cards and cannot be changed.
I think the BIOS can be completely disabled though, with W2.

I think the BIOS can be completely disabled though, with W2.

Yes, but you're not going to run that thing as non-RLL; the chipset doesn't support plain MFM. So you might as well use the BIOS.

One interesting aspect of this controller's BIOS is that it allows access to drives with more than 1024 cylinders--it borrows the upper couple of bits of the DL, the head register for that purpose. It can come in handy if you're using something like an XT1140 drive with 1224 cylinders.

Many thanks for all the replies on this!

I'm think the controller BIOS has been integrated into the system board BIOS; Amstrad fitted these via recall in some cases and in units produced after (the problem was identified), whilst (eventually sucessful) legal wranglings with Seagate were on-going so I guess cost was a big concern. Here it is:

IMG_3103.jpg

However I didn't know about the CC00 mapping, Amstrad instead supplying a little utility to supposedly low-level format the drive (no ability to enter error map though, and it fails with the ST-251-1 attached), however issuing the debug command does yield the BIOS utility:

IMG_3105.jpg

So I'm not sure where this leaves me - note the mad values (drive type 50 per BIOS working perfectly meanwhile). I might get the courage to try it later.

Last edited:
Quick update - I put the original 40MB RLL drive back on the WD controller, ran Speed-Stor and it picked up all the errors on the sticker and blocked them out. Then it started reporting cyl 0 errors. Even when manually removed, the drive couldn't be formatted in DOS - 'track 0 bad'. So trying the CC00:5 utility, manually set the parameters then LLF/verify/enter error map, after which all is working well, much better indeed than ever before!

So tomorrow I might try and hook up the ST-251-1 and see what happens. I don't get the relationship between the Amstrad PC2286 BIOS and the WD BIOS, or indeed WTF the Amstrad LLF utility actually does.

Just got a few minutes to test the ST-251-1 on the RLL controller as suggested, 26 SPT configured via cc00:5 utility.

Initial results are confusing. LLF ran fine, but strangly so is the WD controller's five-pass pattern test. So far (25%) 5 errors picked out with it in MFM configuration on the ST-11M haven't shown through - including one factory defect.

Does the RLL controller use a stronger write current perhaps? Or could it be that the 5150 I was using before might not have enough guts on it's 12V line (original 63W PSU)? Or something else...

It's quite possible that RLL 2,7 encoding works just fine--the R/W circuitry has to be a bit more tolerant. I think I also remember that the 1006 allows for 25 SPT, for sparing.

Thanks Chuck. In the version I have, the other option it gives me is 31 SPT I think - might try that next!

Now that is just plain bizarre--I could understand 31 spt if it was an ARLL controller, otherwise the data rate would be way out of bounds for most MFM drives but the 1006V, to the best of my knowledge is just a RLL (2,7) controller.

Give it a try and let me know.

Will do! (tomorrow though). Any risk of damage to the drive pushing it that far?

MFM drives don't care...they're very stupid.

Suits me then :)

LLF pattern test finished with a bunch of errors identified on the inner tracks..., and crucially, one in what the ST-11M controller was using as the relocation zone. So hopefully I can now get a completely bad-sector free format on that controller.

But first I want to test the drive at the even higher SPT. At 26SPT, it had about 400KB of bad sectors (<1%).

Something else I was pondering on, presumably the 820 cylinders defined by the drive spec allow plenty of space for head parking etc. I wondered if (perhaps, how much) the cylinder count could be increased (for the ST-251-1), without damaging the drive?

Well, I wouldn't recommend it. The area outside of the main usable area isn't checked by the manufacturer for usability and--this is the most important--inner cylinders are harder to read and write to. Because they're shorter (think of the inside lane on a race track) bits are packed tighter, which leads to issues such as bit-shifting that the controller can only partly compensate for.

And since the linear velocity is slower, the read signal is lower (signal strength varies as the square of the linear velocity). This is one reason that manufacturers never used the innermost cylinders for critical data storage, such as file directories or allocation maps--they're simply not as reliable, so it's only fitting that they're the last to be used.

But hey, it's your data. You won't wreck the drive by going overboard. At some point either the electronics or mechanicals will stop you.

Chuck, can you explain "engineering cylinders"? I've always thought they were one or two "hidden" cylinders past what was published by the drive, but I've never found a formal definition.

Back